F.Secure Safe blocks Ccleaner

Options

I've been wondering why F-S is blocking Ccleaner when starting pc. Is there some reason?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm also only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

I did use recent CCleaner but not with its autorun (or so). With such experience -> F-Secure did not block it (during launch CCleaner for use it manually). I will try to re-check with one of my systems about other configurations (later).

Maybe it is good to explain a little be more -> does there visible any F-Secure prompts (or under ""rightclick F-Secure tray-picture ->> "Recent events" under visible tray-menu ->> Strings about block-event) with detection-name or explanation words (reason for block)?

Additionally, there was such story:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/CCleaner-5-33-carried-malware/m-p/99043

So, it is good to re-check that your experience is about up-to-date CCleaner and is not about trouble-build (as example).

Thanks!

• kirppi
    kirppi Posts: 2 New Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I can find all those blockings in the list. Blocking started in the end of december. Looks like F-S is classifying Ccleaner as a PUA. Propably it's best not to use it anymore.

Have a nice day!

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,619 Superuser
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for my large reply! Smiley Sad

Not sure that it is expected situation that CCleaner is marked as PUA (at least, with common meanings).

There is F-Secure Policy about PUA. And with your experience -> detection may be something like false positive detection (at least, with already installed CCleaner).

I tried next steps with one of my systems (with installed F-Secure SAFE beta/technology-preview):

>> Downloaded CCleaner installer from their piriform website.

>> I installed CCleaner (5.39.6399) with their default settings and configuration.

>> Restarted system (Windows 7 32bit);

>> And... I did not receive any prompts about block.

So, maybe your experience with specific additions (or with certain system; or with certain CCleaner build or so). Also, if it is possible to manage such events in the list -> so, maybe possible to see which executable is blocked and then transfer it to F-Secure Labs with description about (detection-name/situation). Then -> F-Secure Labs with abilities to doublecheck it and to create some advices.

Additionally, I think that it is OK to use it (both) further too. With meanings that it is good to use F-Secure SAFE (even if some false-positive detections are there). It is possible to use F-Secure SAS as steps to inform F-Secure Labs. 

Or otherwise it is still can be OK to use CCleaner (if needed). Except some of potential points and meanings. For example, I still use it with some of systems (recent and up-to-date CCleaner builds)

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info