Passwords for children

I have all the time fixed for my childnre on compute so they dont go on all hours and every hour. Sure enough it comes up and says you cant use this any longer, do you want to extend?, they click yes and carry on and so how the heck do I stop them clicking yes? There must be a password they have to put in, can I figure out where? Help please?

Comments

  • UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

    @joe5 wrote:

    I have all the time fixed for my childnre on compute so they dont go on all hours and every hour. Sure enough it comes up and says you cant use this any longer, do you want to extend?, they click yes and carry on and so how the heck do I stop them clicking yes? There must be a password they have to put in, can I figure out where? Help please?


    Hello,

     

    Sorry for my reply. I'm only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

     

    Expected that system accounts for kids will be as 'restricted'-type (not a main account with administrator's rights). So, "password they have to put in" is passwords for administrator credentials as elevated prompt by UAC.

    Does your experience about Windows system? And about what solutions or version of F-Secure SAFE?

     

    Thanks!

    Näsäviisas
  • joe5joe5 Posts: 3

    Thanks for replying. Its windows. Basically they have a PC and I have a PC. Same thing happens with me and I just click yes I want to continue. Do I have to make them non-administrators then?

     

  • UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

    @joe5 wrote:

    Thanks for replying. Its windows. Basically they have a PC and I have a PC. Same thing happens with me and I just click yes I want to continue. Do I have to make them non-administrators then?


    Hello,

     

    With current F-Secure SAFE (17.2 probably; and with some of previous builds or all of them) -> it is not possible to set up password for Parental Control. So, for proper work of Parental Control rules (limits/restrictions) -> required to create/switch them to non-administrators. Or it will be possible just allow any of blockpages (prompts) and so on (it's good design for administrator of system). How it was with your example.

     

    Also -> MAYBE -> good to set up UAC to certain level (where prompt for administrators rights should be created). Then -> with action like "add more time or allow use system" -> will be ask for administrator's password (or other options). So, good to keep such password with strong-state (and do not forget it).

     

    Most likely, that it is just good to use non-administrators account (restricted type) for kids anyway. Partly it is can be more safe (of course, with some limitations -> it will be valid for full system and not only F-Secure design -> so, some common actions or steps will trigger requirements for your attention). 

     

    Sorry for my worst English! Smiley Sad

     

    Thanks!

     

  • @joe5

    My short comment:
    In principle, computers etc. are good, when a person is doing good things with them.
    💻➕👦

    But it is good to have other hobbies too,
    for example:
    🎹 🎾⚽ 📷 🖌

    Only fingers get movement with computers.
    All kind of sport is needed.

    Näsäviisas
    Ukko
  • joe5joe5 Posts: 3

    Thanks for this. Ridiculous there is no password for fsecure. OK next question. How do I stop them from being administrators?? Any ideas/.

    Ukko
  • UkkoUkko Posts: 2,999 Superuser

    @joe5 wrote:

    Thanks for this. Ridiculous there is no password for fsecure. OK next question. How do I stop them from being administrators?? Any ideas/.


    Maybe instructions can be with different view for certain Windows build.

     

    General instructions:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13951/windows-create-user-account

     

    Where discussed 'adding' fresh user account. With certain step -> most likely -> should be ask about type of account.

    Also with some of Windows builds -> was possible to choose certain account (with system settings - where possible to change username/picture for account/password and so) -> and change "type".

    Maybe it should be one administrator-account and maybe good to create fresh accounts for kids.

     

    So, good to known Windows version for proper try to create suggestion/advice.

     

    Thanks!

    Näsäviisas
  • nanonymenanonyme Posts: 145 Active Engager

    @joe5 wrote:

    Thanks for this. Ridiculous there is no password for fsecure. OK next question. How do I stop them from being administrators?? Any ideas/.


    Note that your children can also uninstall any software from the machine including F-Secure SAFE if they are administrators. It essentially in Windows terminology means you absolutely trust them and is not compatible with parental limits

    Ukko
This discussion has been closed.