Youtube restricted mode

Mark33
Mark33 Posts: 3 New Member

Very annoying problem. With F-secure enabled, it overrides and turns on restricted mode on Youtube. Which blocks many normal videos. In Youtube settings there is no option to turn off restricted mode while F-secure is enabled. If I disable F-secure, the option appears in Youtube and I can turn off restricted mode. But enabling F-secure overrides the setting!! Please help? Thank you.

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Such a situation is discussed under community (as example: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/Re-SAFE-content-filtering-should/m-p/110386 || https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Speakers-Corner/F-Secure-and-YouTube-quot/m-p/114141).

Although it is something as feature - more often it is unexpected / unwanted for users. And, for example, there is feature request about:

Basically, it should be active only when Parental control features are used. At least, Content blocker is enabled.

SafeSearch strict-level filtering for children When content filtering is turned on, it also turns on SafeSearchstrict-level filtering for children, including Google, Yahoo, Bing, and Youtube. (SAFE only) 

Thus, maybe good to know does your experience is about own use? Or account is configured for someone else where Parental Control functionality is important?

If it is your own use and "Content blocker" is not used by you -> possible to disable it.

Need to login into your My F-Secure account (https://my.f-secure.com) and choose your profile or device. Then to locate Parental Control options / Control Blocker tab.

Sorry for my unclear suggestions. Re-ask further if any clarification or advice is needed.

Thanks!

• Mark33

Thank you, although I find that very confusing and unclear. Thanks again.

• Ukko

@Mark33 wrote:

Thank you, although I find that very confusing and unclear. Thanks again.

Sorry for that!

In general, the reason of Youtube restricted mode (safe mode) is F-Secure Parental Control Content Blocker functionality (most likely). It is possible to disable "Content blocker" if it is not used by you:

And then to check if situation is changed.

Otherwise, another option is to contact their official Support channel for certified advice:

(chat as example).

Thanks!

• Mark33

Thanks. Seems ridiculous the only option is to have the whole thing just on or off.  On TalkTalk Home Safe it is very similar, but you can add websites you trust to an "allowed list" .

• Ukko

@Mark33 wrote:

Thanks. Seems ridiculous the only option is to have the whole thing just on or off.  On TalkTalk Home Safe it is very similar, but you can add websites you trust to an "allowed list" .

Maybe TalkTalk branded version with a little be another implementation of this "youtube safe mode".

But just one addition: F-Secure SAFE solution (I am not sure if it is fully applied to TalkTalk Home Safe) with clear difference between "Parental Control" part of Browsing Protection and exact Browsing Protection functionality.

Where "allowed list" is valid for both meanings. Browsing protection against harmful, malicious, suspicious rated pages. Content blocker against chosen categories (for example, to block pages which are rated as alcohol-themed).

So, if you do use this part of Parental control (Content blocker against certain category) -> then there is no visible workaround probably. But if your experience is not about such state and you do not use such layer against alcohol\shopping\uncategorized\adult\... rated websites -> disabling only Parental Control content blocker (not entire functionality of protection against harmful or malicious ratings) is a workaround maybe.

And, just because, such limitation with youtube is not always wanted by user -> there is a feature request:

possible to vote it.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.