How do I change drive in laptop but still keep windows key?

Long story short. Every time I've tried to change harddrives on laptops (HDD-> SSD) windows keeps crashing on me giving me error codes like "0xc0000428". Iv'e read that the keys are only valid if the manufactured parts stays the same, is this true? I've got the license and product key for my laptop with HDD. Will it be valid if I change to SSD and type in the same keys?

Is there even a way (with or without buying a new windows 10 key) to make the laptop work when replacing the hdd to a ssd?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

@Jacobcullen wrote:

Long story short. Every time I've tried to change harddrives on laptops (HDD-> SSD) windows keeps crashing on me giving me error codes like "0xc0000428". Iv'e read that the keys are only valid if the manufactured parts stays the same, is this true? I've got the license and product key for my laptop with HDD. Will it be valid if I change to SSD and type in the same keys?

Is there even a way (with or without buying a new windows 10 key) to make the laptop work when replacing the hdd to a ssd?

I think that it is good to ask or to contact official Microsoft channels for proper advice and support (microsoft.com).

In addition, it is possible to find Terms or EULA for Windows license. If trouble is related with activation design, most likely, that such situation is explained with further guides.

I think that it is can be a common trouble / situation for OEM licenses (or preinstalled Windows for laptops).

But I feel that if EULA/Terms for your activation code (licence) is not about strict rules for hardware equipment (but possible to suspect so) -> then workaround is to reactivate your subscription for fresh SSD by Support request. Usually, such limitation is only about main hardware (rather than HDD/SSD probably).

So, what if your experience is about something else; software, broken file or impact of incorrect replacement (from HDD to SSD). Thus, maybe another option is to contact your laptop manufacturer for instructions.

Maybe your experience is even about broken partition. And if it is not possible to repair it... maybe Windows reinstallation is fix (like recovery to factory state). Good to create backup before any further actions (if so).

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.