F-Secure Mac Protection on Lion

Apple has announced that it will release latest version of their operating system 10.7 (Lion) this month. It has already seeded Golden Master to developers. Has Mac Protection been tested with Lion and heve there been any issues? Update to Lion is going to be different from previous updates because there is no installation media, instead Lion update is only available via Mac App Store. If something goes wrong, you will have to re-install old operating system from original media, then fix things (uninstall Mac Protection) and then try update again. I would like to know that someone has succesfully updated to Lion before I try it.

Comments

• Rusli
    Rusli Posts: 1,013 Influencer

Hi

Currently, The F-Secure for Mac Antivirus only supports Mac OS X version 10.5 & version 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

That is the current system requirement at this time.

I suggesting not to use it first. Until a new patch or new release version is availabe for download.

Because updating to the next Mac OS X 10.7 is a very time consuming process.

You have to install Snow Leopard first before Updating to Mac OS X 10.7 Lion via Apple Apps Store.

And it takes hours to download the 4GB Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to your Mac Computer.

Because Apple will not support for Java and Adobe Flash in their next OS. (code name Lion)

However I did highlight the matter to the F-Secure Beta Team recently.

So I am not so sure if they take note of these.

• LSS
    LSS Posts: 3 Observer

Any news on Lion compatibility?

F-Secure made my Lion very sluggish and backup with Time Machine and ChronoSync painfully slow.

I fund a lot of messages like this in the logs:

29.7.2011 10.28.43,000 kernel: fsauth: timed out waiting for request 1a5830 (type = 3, pid = 4824, uid = 89, file = /Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/XXXXX’s MacBook Pro/2011-07-24-152444/MacBook Pro HD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/json/encoding.rb)

29.7.2011 10.28.43,000 kernel: fsauth: did not get file access response!

29.7.2011 10.28.44,000 kernel: fsauth: timed out waiting for request 1a5833 (type = 3, pid = 5200, uid = 0, file = /Volumes/Time Machine/Backups.backupdb/XXXXX’s  MacBook Pro/2011-07-24-152444/MacBook Pro HD/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.2.2/lib/active_support/core_ext/hash/deep_merge.rb)

29.7.2011 10.28.44,000 kernel: fsauth: did not get file access response!

• Now Lion is official and I've the same problem. Anything is very slow as soon as F-Secure is installed. Uninstalling it and the machine is running very fast.

Any solutions on this ? It should not be the aspect of an antivirus software to be uninstalled to get a fast computer again...

And just killing the process does not work. I need to do a complete uninstall. And there are a lot of threads out there concerning the same problem. Please help...

• Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 120 F-Secure Product Expert

Hi MisterSpock,

our current AV for MAC is not supporting Lion yet. We just released the Technology Preview (Beta) version of our new AV for MAC supporting Lion soon. We are planning to release the new version to final as soon as possible, but we do not want to release an untested version, so it might still take some time.

You can get the TP-Version here:

http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs/beta-programs/home-users-beta/fsmac/

Live long and prosper Smiley Wink

• Dear Patrick,

thx for the quick response - fascinating ;-)

I just registered for the Beta Version and will test it.

Live long and prosper, too

• Dear Patrick,

the subscription code does not work... my original code does not work and the beta code also does not work (it says valid thru 2011-07-28). could you please help me ?

• Patrick
    Patrick Posts: 120 F-Secure Product Expert

Hi,

have you uninstalled the previous installation using the uninstall app in the F-Secure folder? If not, please do so and try again.

• macbelly
    macbelly Posts: 1

I'm still seeing this issue with fsauth although normally not as bad as today. Within an hour my Mac froze several times, each for 3-5 minutes while it was wait for many "fsauth" attempts.

Example:

24/03/2012 08:22:51.000 kernel: fsauth: timed out waiting for request 32c5f (type = 3, pid = 5562, uid = 0, file = /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib)
    24/03/2012 08:22:51.000 kernel: fsauth: did not get file access response!

This message is repeated many times. In the mean time I see a spinning beach ball.

I have installed F-secure 2011 about 2 weeks ago straight from my  provider (xs4all in NL). I assume I received the last F-Secure version ready for Lion ...

What can I do to avoid this happening?

• os111
    os111 Posts: 1

Exactly the same problem, downloaded from my provider xs4all this year (2012), installed it, worked fine for some time, but then started freezing up my imac (with the spinning beach ball).

Get a lot of fsauth messages similar to the previous submission.

At first I thought it had to do with the application I was using but it doesn't matter what application I use I get this spinning beach ball very often with any application and it completely freezes up the imac. CPU and Memory usage are practically none so it is something else, like it is waiting for something, a connection or something.

Removed it, reinstalled it, nothing helped, so in the end had to remove it alltogether as it made it impossible to work with the imac.
    A solution would be helpfull so I can reinstall it again.

• celavey
    celavey Posts: 34 Observer

Any news on any upcoming beta testings? image

• HI

I am seeing the same fsauth attempt situation on my Mac with Lion. Any news on this. Slowing down my computer...

• Rusli
    Rusli Posts: 1,013 Influencer

Hi

Check with their F-Secure Tech Support guys. They should know about this very well.

This discussion has been closed.