Automatic scan of USB pendrives

viktik
viktik Posts: 62 Active Engager

A decade ago malware spread through floppy and cd. Now the have new medium which USB pendrive. Pendrive gets connected to many computer thus getting infected and further spreading the malware to more computers.

So ability to automatically scan USB pendrive would be very good feature to add in F secure.

0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

We show prompt these days

Comments

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer

I understand your concern, but here few things you should actually know:

Any normal antivirus automatically scans every file when accessed, and you can scan everything(i.e. Pendrive) manually if you wish. I mean there's no real reason of having such "feature", it's just false caution.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi viktik!

I think it's a good idea!  But as Janiashvili mentioned, it may be unnecessary.  Where I would see it being useful, however, is when sharing the Pendrive with other users whose PC/device may NOT have antivirus installed, thereby accidentally spreading a hidden infection in a file.  Manually scanning the drive could prevent this, yes, but I don't assume that everyone would routinely doing that before sharing the content.

// Chrissy

• mfox7768
    mfox7768 Posts: 1 New Member

I am a security software tester and I don't fully agree with Janiashvili comment while you are correct in saying that all antiviruses automatically scan every file when accessed usb flash drives are one of the most common ways for viruses to get on to your computer and spread to others so this feature should be added to F-Secure.

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @viktik

This idea has been implemented and now in production.

The Idea is now considered completed and closed!

Thank you for your suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.