installation failed

Scholar

installation failed

I'm trying to switch over from Virgin media security and have followed instructions as per video but keep getting a not very helpful 'Installation failed' message at the end of initial download - any suggestions please?

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
F-Secure

Re: installation failed

Hi

The simplest thing is to reboot your computer and try again. You may have pending Windows updates that have locked part of the system. We try to detect them in installer but it does not always work.

(F-Secure R&D)

View solution in original post

Superuser

If you didn't already do so, we've found that it helps to fully uninstall Virgin Media Security before installing F-Secure.  You may find the information here useful:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Installing-F-Secure-after-Virgin-Media-Securit...

61 REPLIES 61
F-Secure

Hi

The simplest thing is to reboot your computer and try again. You may have pending Windows updates that have locked part of the system. We try to detect them in installer but it does not always work.

(F-Secure R&D)

Superuser

If you didn't already do so, we've found that it helps to fully uninstall Virgin Media Security before installing F-Secure.  You may find the information here useful:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Internet-security/Installing-F-Secure-after-Virgin-Media-Securit...

Scholar

Thanks so much Ville and Simon
I did the reboot and there were windows updates lurking. Restarted and installation worked perfectly.
Brilliant !
Jane
Scholar

Hi im no teckie, im a 40 something bloke who knows about computers more than my 70+ aged parents but less than my kids.

Installation failed! yep thats me, im coming from virgin media and trying to download F-Secure and it gets to 70% then stalls for a few minutes before wizzing up to 99% then the same old message.

i have.............

restarted my laptop

rebooted ? is this where i hold down my off switch instead of shutting down? (this is what i have done)

deleted the free version of AVG includeing useing the removal tool i found on a thread somewhere

i have not got virgin media security on my laptop, ( which i wanted hence i ended up with F-Secure as virgin is ending its security)

so at present my laptop is staying on this page with no internet security running.

now i appreciate any help BUT it has to be in baby english with stupidly simple instructions ;-)

Superuser

Hi,

It seems you've done everything right, except for the reboot. Holding down the power button forces a shutdown, but this is not the same as a reboot, so it's possible that some process isn't being allowed to complete. If you click your Start button, then go to the Shutdown options, one of those should be Reboot or Restart. Try that, then try again with the FS installation, and come back to us if you're still having problems. :)
Scholar

Hi Simon, ive just "restarted" and still the same....... i uninstalled the laptop and reinstalled again aswell, installation remained at 70% for some time then slowly went to 95%jumped back to 84% back and forth a couple of times before the dreaded installation failed appeared :smiley frustrated: any more suggestions?

i read somewhere on a thread about windows updates stopping the download, mine pops up with windows could not check for updates, now my laptop has been showing this for a long time maybe weeks but its still worked and never bothered me so i have ignored this, is this causeing the problem ?

Superuser

I don't know for certain myself, but it's been said here by F-Secure that 'stuck' Windows Updates can prevent FS from installing. Have you gone to Start > Control Panel > Windows Updates to see if you can download them? By the way, which version of Windows is this?
Scholar

windows 7, and i will try control panel now although im not quite sure what im supposed to be updateing or down loading, i will report back shortly, thankyou for trying to help me Smiley Happy

Superuser

If you go into the Windows Update screen, it should be fairly obvious how to proceed.  :)

My only other suggestion at present would be to download and run the F-Secure Uninstallation Tool:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security-for-PC/F-Secure-Uninstallation-Tool/td-p/31265

I guess it's possible that FS might be 'half installed', and thus causing problems for the full installation.  Using the above will enable you to start again with a clean slate.

Just a further thought - this is the link I have for the AVG remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities.  Is that the same as where you got yours from?