ch810.exe

I'm getting a startup error message that module ch810.exe can't be found in c:\users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\.

I've seen some refs to this in German forums but don't have enough German to understand.  Is this evidence of a trojan infection?  If so, how do I deal with it?

Iain Lowson 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Cornhillfarm,

The error message indicate that the c:\users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\ch810.exe doesn't exist on your system anymore, if the executable file is a virus it could not do any harm to your system. I do believe that the file was removed but the entry created in your startup program list remains. Kindly check and remove the entry from the Registry Editor.

1. Start > Run or "Winkey+R", type "regedit".
    2. Check and remove the entry contain value of "c:\users\myusername\AppData\Local\Temp\ch810.exe" from location below:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

3. Restart your computer and test.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Cornhillfarm
    Cornhillfarm Posts: 4 Observer

Jayson

Thanks very much for responding.  It's encouraging to learn that the error message means that the dodgy file is probably no longer there.  However, I can find no registry entry corresponding to the error message.  I looked in the locations you identified and then did a registry search on a variety of strings, all without success.

Any further suggestions would be welcomed.  Should I just put up with the error message?  F-Secure scan returns no bad file and MalWareBytes found two which I have deleted.  They were to do with firewall disabling.

Thanks again

Iain 

• [Deleted User]

Hi Cornhillfarm,

Try to search in these 2 locations:

1. Start > Run or "Winkey+R", type "msconfig".
    2. Start > All Programs > Startup.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• Cornhillfarm
    Cornhillfarm Posts: 4 Observer

Jayson

There's an entry in the startup folder for CH810.exe.  It's a shortcut to  C:\Windows\System32\rundll32

I'm happy deleting the shortcut.  What should I do about rundll32?

Many thanks in advance.

Iain 

• [Deleted User]

Hi Iain,

Rundll32.exe is an important process of your windows operating system. The process rundll32.exe executes dll files and puts their libraries into your system's memory. The Rundll32.exe located in C:\Windows\System32 should be genuine. What you have in Startup folder is just a shortcut, you may proceed to detele it.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info