cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this scanning report mean?

Scholar

What does this scanning report mean?

After a complete computer scan, I received this report.  Following the link comes up with nothing.  What can I do about the "harmful item" found?

SCANNING REPORT
  • Thursday, January 10, 2019 3:00:00 AM - 5:00:05 AM
  • Scan type: Scan for viruses
Results
  • Items scanned: 1413618
  • Harmful items found: 1
DetailsPUA/Asparnet.B.7f3e78f784!fsocap
  • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AskToolbarInstaller-AVR-TG[1].7z\[49] program files/AskPartnerNetwork/Toolbar/UpdateManager.exe: Skipped
3 REPLIES
Superuser

Re: What does this scanning report mean?

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

This is a Potential Unwanted Application detection for Ask Toolbar installer (or its modified build).

Sounds that your state (maybe) is about static cached downloaded content (browsing/visited page or try to download Ask Toolbar).

Detected item (UpdateManager.exe) is under zipped container (archive AskToolbarInstaller-AVR-TG[1].7z). Since detection is only about packed item - F-Secure does not remove entire .7z-file.

Instead, possible to remove this (AskToolbarInstaller-AVR-TG[1].7z) manually.

For example, to locate C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and find this .7z-file -- rightclick and delete it (with further clean up for Recycle Bin).

In addition, possible to try and perform clean up for browser's cache (but it will affect some other points).

I am not sure that such situation is completely safe - but just because nothing else is detected - maybe manual removal for .7z-file is enough.

// by the way - if it is not possible to locate folder: possible to try clear cache/temp internet files of browser. Based on your browser in use - possible to perform it with different steps. In general, possible to try with any of installed browsers (system ones included). For Internet Explorer:

Good if you will back with feedback!

Thanks!

Scholar

Thanks for your help.  I'll try simply deleting the "Ask Toolbar Installer"file.

Superuser

@wcandres wrote:

Thanks for your help.  I'll try simply deleting the "Ask Toolbar Installer"file.

If it is impossible to do this (as example, folder is not accessible based on some reasons) - one another option is to try configure Scheduled scan.

Maybe Scheduled Scan will remove such item automatically. Just as check.

Otherwise - clean up for temporary internet files/cache is only solution (with less steps compared to another more tricky workarounds).

Thanks!