Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

LB
Aspirant

Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

I have several multi-computer FS Internet Security subscriptions for my 10+ computers at home (along with Eset, Symantec, Bitlocker, Comodo, and some other software I'm testing).   I also buy, configure and/or support at least a dozen computers for my extended family and friends - nearly all of them with their own FS Internet security subscriptions.  Up to now, FS is my preference for user-friendliness, as well as being effective.

Several months ago, I uninstalled an FS-IS 2013 installation from a 3-computer subscription on an old box, to free up an installaton for my wife's new laptop.   However, I was unable to reuse the subscription key (as I had done many times before), as the validation indicated that all valid subscriptions were already being used - the uninstallation had not freed the slot in F-Secure's system.  I was able to reuse a much older 5-user subscription key that still had a slot left.

Now, the 5-user subscription is expring, and my requests to F-secure support only receive replies with useless tier-1 uninstallation instructions.  How can I continue to use the F-Secure I have already paid for?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
F-Secure

Re: Release uninstalled subscription Device ID

Hi

When you install with all licenses used, the installation will tell you that all licenses are used and offers an option to move a license. When you do that, it will automatically select the license to move. The logic of which license is moved is a bit fuzzy, but the end result is that no active computer should lose license (the licenses may switch around if they are different lengths). If you have a multi-seat license where all licenses are same length, then it should work fine for you.

(F-Secure R&D)

13 REPLIES 13
Advocate

I'm not sure but I think uninstall may not be enough for this. Next time try running this after uninstall:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/F-Secure-Uninstallation-Tool/td-p/31265

Can someone else confirm this?

Anyway, it shouldn't be a problem even if all licenses are already in use. You can move licenses:

http://community.f-secure.com/t5/Security/reinstallation-amp-key/m-p/35467/highlight/true#M6473

Give Kudos to say "thanks". Click "Accept as Solution" to inform others when your issue's been solved
Need more help? Submit a Support Request or chat / call F-Secure support
Advocate

Correction about Uninstallation tool: It does NOT notify the license server as it's a forced uninstall.

So forget the Uninstallation Tool and go for move licenses (2nd link in above post)

Superuser

I concur - when you install, and input the subscription key, I believe it asks at that point if you wish to move a license from another machine.

LB
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I gather this means I need to do an uninstall and then reinstall on the new laptop?  I don't remember being given that move option when I first made the installation, but I'll try it.

Also, I'm guessing that I'll have to choose the device ID to move.  I didn't record it before the uninstall, and there's no trace of it in the uninstalled machine's registry.  So, I'll have to use process of elimination to choose between two I can't account for (one may be on my daughter's laptop, but she's still away at school and has better things to do than answer her dad).

F-Secure

Hi

When you install with all licenses used, the installation will tell you that all licenses are used and offers an option to move a license. When you do that, it will automatically select the license to move. The logic of which license is moved is a bit fuzzy, but the end result is that no active computer should lose license (the licenses may switch around if they are different lengths). If you have a multi-seat license where all licenses are same length, then it should work fine for you.

(F-Secure R&D)

Advocate

Ville, thanks for explaining. But still some what confusing I think, especially "the licenses may switch around"

With "different lengths" I assume you mean Expire dates.

Isn't any license always linked to a subscription key with an Expire date?

If so, how is it possible to end up with licenses with "different lengths" for one subscription key?

Superuser

My interpretation of that was, if for example, a license was 'taken' from a machine that then turned out to be still still active, when that machine was next turned on, it's license would again 'switch', so eventually, the non-active machine would be de-licensed. Does that make sense?
F-Secure

@Nikk, you can have different length subscriptions if you enter multiple different keys (at different times). Then the end dates would be different depending on which key the subscription came from.

@Simon, you are very close to how the algorithm works. Smiley Wink

Advocate

Thanks guys! I understand now why I didn't get it - I've actually never added a new subscription key before the old one expires, so I have total control of my licenses. And the only reason for that is to avoid any confusion it might cause Smiley Wink