Problems with auto update to IS2013

Supporter

Re: Problems with auto update to IS2013

Hi Hono,

I concur totally.

Such an unattended hidden uninstallation process is very risky for any user. I hope this tool can be improved soon.

F-Secure

Hi

I would like to comment on a few things. I work in R&D and I know exactly how it works. :)

There are no hidden processes left in installation. The only thing that is not done when you see the installation finished page is Computer Security virus databases, which are still being downloaded. The user is protected by DeepGuard and minimal databases until that completes.

I think the confusion comes from the upgrade. If you already have existing installation and run the upgrade tool, it will trigger the download of the upgrade but will not show anything until the channel upgrade is ready to be applied (or in some cases already applied). I fully agree that this is not a good solution and we are going to improve it in future.

The ghost licenses appear when using uninstallation tool. The server does not receive notification of uninstallation and reserves the license for the previous installation that was wiped. Proper way of uninstalling is through Control Panel.

You should not be too concerned about the ghost licenses though - if you install with all licenses used, you get the choice to move used license to the new installation. That will automatically, through some quite complex rules, use the ghost licenses first.

suf
Aspirant

Hi Ville,

You said "Proper way of uninstalling is through Control Panel.", but I from FS Tech Support I have received the advice to use the uninstall tool to fix my problems (see my original post). How come? Admittedly, as a customer I get mighty confused here Smiley Frustrated

F-Secure

Hi

Uninstallation tool is very crude way of removing the product. It just deletes the files and registry entries and kills the processes. It should be used only if the normal uninstallation does not work. It gets the job done, but standard uninstallation is, how to put it, more elegant.

Support is sometimes too eager to give the uninstallation tool, since they normally deal with situations where the computer is already messed up and normal uninstallation does not work.

suf
Aspirant

Hi Ville,

Thanks for the explanation!

OK, so this is a slightly "messed up" case (the upgrade went awry and I have some unfinished, **bleep** version right now); I assume then the uninstall tool tool may be called for.

A general remark: I was not at all aware that any upgrade was taking place. Thus I may have done something (like turn off or snooze the computer or whatever) that interfered with the process.

In my case, I was doing an uninstall and re-install, and not an automatic upgrade. Both the uninstall and the install have teh same problem: the window that tasks for  reboot is a spearate window from the one I opened when I began the install or uninstall. Also, the time gap between these two windows is long. When I see the reboot pop-up long after the first window has closed, I know there is a hidden process that was working that I didn't see. This is what I mean by "ghost process". What I ask form F-Secure is to keep the first window in place over the whole install or uninstall procedure, and then display the reboot text in that same window. That way I know not to reboot prematurely or begin an install before the uninstall has ended, or any other such thing that will mess up the computer.

By having that gap between the first window and the reboot window you are inviting the user to mess up, and the longer the time between the two (it can be tens of minutes), the more you invite the user to mess up. Seriously.

F-Secure

Hi,

I have not heard of such behaviour with the client before this. The longest period without user visible dialog should be maximally about 5 seconds, when switching the installation from the "stub" installer to the proper installer. You are right that the process showing the installation progress switches there. In the upgrade there is similar scenario since the user interface that starts the upgrade must be shut down for the upgrade - then the progress dialog jumps to another temporary process.

Install, uninstall and upgrade have system wide locking mechanisms that prevent them from running at the same time, so it's not possible to mess up the computer that way.

Thank you Ville, we're getting somewhere now.

What I have witnessed is definitely longer than 5 seconds. Even in the first installation in which I was much more patient (=I was busy writing down all kinds of things to document the steps of taking a new computer into use), it was so many minutes that when the reboot pop-up finally appeared, it surprised me completely. I already had thought that reboot is not needed with the new installer. At that point, I had not even opened the network connection at all until I was ready to use the net installer, which requires connection, so all I had on the laptop was fresh from Lenovo's package. I have no trouble accusing Lenovo for causing the problem initially, but I do need you to acknowledge that there is a possibility for a problem you haven't anticipated. Since that first installation, I have done a successful uninstall&reinstall, and then, later, the botched-up uninstall and reinstall. In all these cases, for unistall and install both, the reboot pop-up took a long time to appear. Waaay too long.

Please take this seriously.

suf
Aspirant

Just in case someone is online right now:

I am now TRYING to uninstall (with the FS utility).

• After 1½h nothing visible has happened.
  • There is a process uninstaller.exe running, utilising approx 20% CPU, which slowly eats memory - presently 1.4 GB of RAM (67% of physical memory).
  • There is also a process UninstalaltionTool.exe, utilising only 4,440 kB, that sits there.
  • Desk top icon F-secure Launch pad is intact.
  • Two processes, fshoster32.exe and FSLAUNCHER0.EXE are still present.

I am logged in on an admin account, and have been doing nothing else with the computer until posting this.

When should I give up?

Highlighted
Supporter

Hi Ville,

Thank you for confirming it.

Then I'm glad I didn't follow instructions verbatim when I received response from support, since there wasnt' a word about using regular uninstallation first. Uninstallation tools should always be used as last resort if normal removal doesn't work Smiley Happy