Facebook F-Secure malware scanner

Highlighted
Novice

Facebook F-Secure malware scanner

I logged on Facebook and it said my account is infected with malware so I have to click on a button and download F-Secure malware removal software and solve the problem. I did that and run it but 2-3 hours later nothing is happening and plus I can't log to my facebook. How can I resolve this problem?

67 REPLIES 67
Superuser

Re: Facebook F-Secure malware scanner

I'm usually wary of downloading from buttons telling me my computer is infected, as often, the buttons themselves contain the malware, then it's a hell of a job to remove it.

I have no idea if the 'F-Secure malware removal software' you downloaded is genuine, but I would suggest that you download and run the Online Scanner, from the link below, which is definitely legit:

https://www.f-secure.com/en_GB/web/home_gb/online-scanner

Come back to us if that doesn't resolve things, and we may have to dig a bit deeper into your problem.

Scholar

Like another poster this morning, when I attempt to log-in to Facebook, I get a message that my computer may have Malware that is affecting my computer and I'm unable to log in. It then brings up a link for F-Secure Online Scanner. When I attempted to download it, nothing ever happened so I discontinued the download process and went directly to the F-Secure website where I successfully downloaded the scanner. After running the scan, it said that nothing harmful was found. However, i still am unable to log in to Facebook and continue to get the message about the malware. Am not sure what to do at this point. Any advice will be much appreciated.--Phil

Superuser

@Ben - any thoughts on this? Is this button on Facebook genuine? Sorry, but I don't use it myself, so I can be of little help.

Guys, have you tried another browser to access Facebook?
F-Secure Product Expert
F-Secure Product Expert

Hi,

I am not really sure as this behavior sounds strange. A screenshot might help clarify the situation.

You can also open a support ticket here so that we can review the details better.

Best Regards

-Ben

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Aspirant

I, too, started getting this Facebook message this week.  They appear to cycle through several on-line scanners from Kasperksy, ESET and today it was F-Secure On-Line Scanner.  I've been researching this all week and decided it was legitimate.  So I downloaded the F-Secure scanner as instructed but it will not run.  I've tried running it as a the administrator, opening it in different ways but it will not run.  I'm running Windows 8.1.  So I am cut off from my Facebook account and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact them.  Very frustrated and angry.  I was already angry that they were demanding I download something to my computer and then to concede and have it not work.  Can you give me any advice?

Aspirant

Well, I just downloaded the F-Secure Scanner program that was suggestedin this message thread and it worked fine and found no problems.  So now I don't know what to do about Facebook.

Scholar

There seems to be no way to contact Facebook via their own website/forums so yesterday I filed a complaint against them thru the Better Business Bureau covering Palo Alto, California where their headquarters is located. I suggest you do the same. If they get enough complaints I'd think they would have to take action. You can do it online at this URL:   www.bbb.org

Phil

Superuser

From what has been said about the 'rotating' products being offered by the Facebook button, my thoughts are that this is not legitimate, and that there is a very real possibility that your Facebook login details have been compromised. I would first suggest changing your Facebook passwords, but I wouldn't know where to go from there.
Aspirant

I'm now thinking that I didn't use the link correctly yesterday - because the instructions turn out to be woefully vague and misleading.  Today the scanner of choice was ESET so I decided to try again.  At first I had the same experience as with F-Secure.  I would download the scanner but it wouldn't open.  then I noticed that the initial linkage/instruction screen was showing a rotating cursor so I just let that run and sure enough it was actually already scanning and cleaning and eventually said it had found nothing amiss and I was able to get back onto FB with now problem.  So now I'm thinking I didn't let F-Secure run long enough.  So I believe the link was genunie horribly misguided and wrong in how FB went about it.  And I find it appalling that in this day and age a on-line service has absolutely zero way to contact them for help.  So even though this has been resolved I am going to follow Phil's suggestion and report them through the BBB.   There is/was still no way to determine if this was actually legitimate or not.  My research seems to suggest that it was but it is not conclusive.  Without a contact pathway there is no way to find out.