F-Secure Update blocks "The Book of Legend"

Aspirant

F-Secure Update blocks "The Book of Legend"

Hallo,

this morning I bought and installed The Book of Legend via Steam. When I first started the game F-Secure AntiVirus 2014 or to be more specific its DeppGuard module informed me that the application is "not safe", but I set it to "allow" and played the game for about 2 hours.

This evening I started the game again and steam reported "error code 51". The game was only able to run when F-Secure was disabled completely or the EXE of the game was on the exception list. I checked F-Secure's download log and found that there was an update for F-Secure Aquarius today ca. 4 hours after I finished my first session with the game... It is quite obvious that this update is responsible for this behaviour.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I do not like to put an EXE file on the exception list. Especially Steam games have FULL read/write access on their folders and thus are quite "dangerous" or open for infection... This should be fixed quickly, shouldn't it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser

Re: F-Secure Update blocks "The Book of Legend"

Hello,

Maybe current situation can be related with DeepGuard storage - try to clean that (remove game from list/storage - if that application have there); If application safe and information already updated for DeepGuard - you will try to launch game without any new alerts by DeepGuard. And already Steam/Game can not to think that "something wrong" - just because DeepGuard already not "checking" application with "care" (allow-status not dropped DeepGuard "active" care);

Anyway:

- Did you try to "Turn On" Game Mode (if it available in your version of F-Secure AV)?

- Also you can try to check settings about DeepGuard (here can be available option about "compatibility mode");

It's maybe better, than just turn off F-Secure AV totally.

And maybe.... you can already also can to try ask F-Secure SAS (?) or another kind of feedback (for support?) about current situation with troubles between "DeepGuard and F-Secure / current game" - maybe it's possible to edit something like "white list" or close to that.

11 REPLIES 11
Advocate

To determine if F-Secure detects it wrongly(called a false positive) you can upload the EXE file to https://www.virustotal.com/

It's a multi-engine scanner that uses 50 different antivirus products. If other engines detect something to, then F-Secure was right in blocking it. If not, you can submit it to F-Secure Labs for analysis: https://analysis.f-secure.com/portal/login.html  so they can check the file and remove the detection.

Aspirant

Thanks for the hint! I uploaded it to VT. 4 of 51 scanners reported a virus. But one of them reported "Heuristic.LooksLike.Win32.SuspiciousPE.C!81" and one of them appended "Gen" to the virus name which should also indicate just a "heuristic guess". F-Secure is also in the list and was fine with the file... As the game is sold on Steam I do not believe in a virus.

As I wrote above the game was running this morning before the last Aquarius update. That is quite strange, I think. Will they do something about this when I send them the file?

Highlighted
Advocate

If the F-Secure Labs analysis determines it's a false positive they will update the definitions so you can run the game again.

Aspirant

The game did run this morning, so the "Allow" for DeepGuard was fine. The false positive should not be an issue anymore... There seems to be something else wrong.

Former F-Secure Employee

Hi StHubi,

As Nikk had previously suggested, the fastest and safest way to address this issue would be to submit the sample through our portal:

https://analysis.f-secure.com/portal/login.html  

Please sign up on the left panel, and you will be able to follow the status of that submission. Kindly include as many details as possible in the description, as it will speed up the resolution of the case.

Regards,
Ivan

Has somebody helped you? Give Kudos as a way to say "thanks!"
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
Aspirant

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try that...

Aspirant

I got response from the analysis website. The file is clean and after an update of the defintion files it is now no longer suspected to be infected. BUT the game still reports "error 51" unless I turn off F-Secure or put the folder on the exception list Smiley Sad

Superuser

Hello,

Maybe current situation can be related with DeepGuard storage - try to clean that (remove game from list/storage - if that application have there); If application safe and information already updated for DeepGuard - you will try to launch game without any new alerts by DeepGuard. And already Steam/Game can not to think that "something wrong" - just because DeepGuard already not "checking" application with "care" (allow-status not dropped DeepGuard "active" care);

Anyway:

- Did you try to "Turn On" Game Mode (if it available in your version of F-Secure AV)?

- Also you can try to check settings about DeepGuard (here can be available option about "compatibility mode");

It's maybe better, than just turn off F-Secure AV totally.

And maybe.... you can already also can to try ask F-Secure SAS (?) or another kind of feedback (for support?) about current situation with troubles between "DeepGuard and F-Secure / current game" - maybe it's possible to edit something like "white list" or close to that.

Senior Advisor