MalwareBytes and F-Secure No Longer Compatible?

According to a post from June 2015, [https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/Compatibility-of-Malwarebytes/td-p/69987], MalwareBytes [MWB] and F-Secure got along like the proverbial "two peas in a pod"

I'm guessing that is no longer the case?  Currently, as I can see from other postings in the F-Secure forum, this may no longer be the case.

My installation of the current MWB program keeps indicating "cannot connect to update server!"  Is it because it is conflicting with F-Secure?  I haven't a clue.  All I know is I have spent many hours recently trying to figure out why my installation of MWB is no longer working. Smiley Mad

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. Most likely you want to get official response from F-Secure (and it will be good indeed) or from other experienced users; And not just my suggestions.

But I just want to say that I tried (previously) to find something as list of "Software which compatible with F-Secure" - but such list was missing (or I did not find it); And there I mean official list from F-Secure (or under their official articles: website/knowledgebase/how-to/faq/notes or other); As their own view.

Except points that at installation (F-Secure solutions) there should be sidegrade-check and information if installed (detected) some not-compatible software; So - if there missing notification --> or there all good with other software installed under user's system; or sidegrade not work properly; or such software installed later;

But based on user's experience there was information that MBAM/F-Secure normally work together;

And usually official position of F-Secure was something like next:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Common-topics/Can-I-have-more-than-one/ta-p/82136

Which also mostly like recommendation (than strong rule);

With my experience about MBAM and F-Secure - it was not really "quite good" already many years (and before large changes with MWB and not about all of their tools) - with all meanings (system impact, Malwarebytes impact; and F-Secure impact - but not directly);

So, I mean that answer for your ask maybe should be based on next meanings:

--> Does Malwarebytes still listed F-Secure under their compatibility list (if they have this one) or marked their software as compatible with other security software (including F-Secure)?

====

But basically - did you try to exclude all Malwarebytes folders (as first try) under F-Secure?

It possible by using "Main UI" and Real-time scanning Exclusion list;

Maybe this Knowledgebase/How-to can be helpful with this:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/How-do-I-exclude-a-file-or/ta-p/56363

If there will be placed Malwarebytes folder (as result - their files) it should potentially excluded processes (by this files/used by this files) - because maybe troublepoints there with F-Secure scanning/analysing all suspicious (or not common) activities under system (maybe there delay and Malwarebytes goes be with mistake); I not read under community (with related topics Malwarebytes/F-Secure) if such steps helpful/useful or not; 

Also based on your reply under another topic:

Also if there trouble with updating databases; Maybe there just "Malwarebytes servers" in somewhat reasons blocked (as suspicious/malicious-rated randomly; or if used restricted-content under F-Secure); Do you use Home solution of F-Secure? If yes - maybe you able to try re-check situation - does it will be helpful with updating Malwarebytes databases - when F-Secure disabled temporary (it should be possible from Main UI -> Tools -> Turn off all security features);

Sorry for my long reply. Smiley Sad

Thanks!

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I can't add any more to what I already said in the other thread. If you check the Malwarebytes forums, you will see that there are lots and lots of problems with the latest version, therefore as soon as they withdraw support for the 2.2 version, I will be uninstalling it.

• ScootCoot
    ScootCoot Posts: 8 Observer

Thank you for your reply.  I have submitted a support ticket to MWB and am in the process of trying their different possible fixes.  I will post here what I find out.

Spending hour upon hour sifting through a gigantic database [i.e., forums and "knowledge bases"] looking for a solution to my issue isn't my cup of tea, so if I can't find a solution to an issue after an hour or so, I give up and contact the support folks who may not like that but if it weren't for users like me they wouldn't have a job.  The more complicated technology gets the more it will leave us old folks behind.  Smiley Very Happy

• ScootCoot

Here's MWB's email reply to my support ticket:

At first, I would like to sincerely apologize for the late answer. Malwarebytes support is over-demanded and we try our best to reach you one by one.

1. Open Malwarebytes
    2. Make sure that you are on the main “Dashboard”
    3. Try clicking on “Current”, under “scan status”. It will update Malwarebytes.
    4. Reboot your computer (optional but recommended)

If it didn’t resolve your issue…

Let’s do a complete re-installation to make sure we grab the latest version properly.

Please, follow carefully this procedure:

1. Install the latest Windows Updates
    2. Reboot your computer
    3. Disable temporarily any other Anti-Virus installed on your system.
    4. Kill Malwarebytes services from the Task Manager (if you have difficulties understanding this step, simply quit Malwarebytes)
    5. Download and run MB-Clean tool:
      https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb_clean
    6. MB-Clean should reboot your computer and ask you to re-install Malwarebytes.
    7. ONLY IF Malwarebytes didn’t ask to re-install, install it again via this link: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/
    8. Activate Malwarebytes by putting your license. (might be already put)
    9. Go to the main “Dashboard”
    10. Try clicking on “Current”, under “scan status”. It will update Malwarebytes.
    11. Reboot your computer (optional but recommended)
    12. Malwarebytes should now be installed, activated and functional.

If this did not resolve your issue, I will need to collect more information about your installation:

1. Please download our diagnostic tool, MB-Check to your Desktop from this link: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3_check
    2. Double-click it to run it. A black command prompt window will appear momentarily and will close after a few seconds.
    3. A zip file named *mb-check-results.zip" will be saved to your Desktop.
    4. Please, attach this file to your next reply.

This results will help me determine if the all the necessary Malwarebytes files are installed and confirm that all of our services are running.

So off I go to run down the list of "what to do"...

• Simon

It would be interesting to hear what they come up with, so please feed back to us here.  I suspect, however, that their solutions will involve disabling or modifying certain settings on the product which is not MWB, which compromises the security of the primary product, in this case, F-Secure, in order to get MWB to work. 

• ScootCoot

I have been busy with other computer related items and totally spaced out posting a reply regarding the issue I was experiencing with the compatibility between MWB and F-Secure...!  I never heard back from F-Secure, but I did get a reply and fix from MWB...

Basically, MWB sent me an email indicating which files need to be placed in the F-Secure "exclude" settings along with some other settings... After I completed all that MWB is now working side-by-side with F-Secure...!!

As soon as I fix the issue that popped up this morning with my Office 365 Outlook program I can email you the fix MWB sent me...

• PC-Cobbler
    PC-Cobbler Posts: 18 Explorer

I'm very late to the party, but I agree with Simon. MBAM used to be a great product, but 3.0 is no longer usable with F-Secure, not to mention that it can only be uninstalled in Safe Mode, with or without their uninstallation tool. I was advised to disable a part of F-Secure, which I won't do. Another annoyance was that every few weeks, MBAM would stop protecting, sometimes forcing me to uninstall and reinstall, though this actually started with 2.x. In my opinion, when they enhanced it to serve as a stand-along anti-virus product, they made it incompatible with some anti-virus products, which makes sense when you think about it.

• ScootCoot

MWB sent me a list of files to include in the exclusion list. Once I added them to the exclusion list - on three computers - MWB works without getting the error message about not being able to connect to the update server.

MWB has been a good program inspite of this "glitch" in updating to the latest version.

Here is the list of files - the one for the 64-bit only, should be changed to: \mbae32.sys.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\assistant.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbam.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbampt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamservice.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-malware\mbamwsc.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys (64-bit only)

Best of luck to you all...

• Simon

Thanks for the update, and for the information.  I still maintain, however, that if MWB are claiming their software is compatible with other AV products, steps like this shouldn't be necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info