Poll: Freedome iOS working reliably?

0980823432 Posts: 4 New Member

I am on an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.3.2 and it will just not work relibably and most of the time not at all. Removing the VPN settings through the app works most of the time but even that will not always work.

Trying to connect to Amsterdam and Espoo.

Please reply with what iOS version and device you are either succesful or unsuccesful.

Comments

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

Can you explain your connectivity issue with Freedome so that we can help further? Is there any kind of error message seen when you try to turn on Freedome?

What version of Freedome are you running currently?

I have sent multiple reports from the "hit version number 7 times" reports. Did not get any non automatic reply unfortunately.
    Most of the time it happens when unlocking the phone. Either the connection is established quickly, or it gets in to this mode where you can see the VPN slider in iOS settings trying to connect. The Freedome app will be spinning for minutes and sometimes give some error message about not being able to connect. Other times it says it says it is installing (?) software.
    I bought a 5 pack but had to remove it from my family members iPhones/iPads, because it just didn't work. There is no difference between wifi networks. 4G seems to always work.
    Just wondering whether I am the only customer for whom Freedome does not work transparently. I had expected it to work completely transparent.
  • Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi 0980823432,

Could you check this KB article regarding your issue? Are you getting the same error message as seen in the article?

Yes I did that multiple times, just sent another report. Hope you can improve these cases where it takes up to three minutes to reestablish the VPN connection.
  • LKo
    LKo Posts: 13 New Member

It is unusable for me, has been for about one year when I bought the license.

The VPN tunnel just dies away at some point and won't start working again without turning Freedome off and back on again.

I have been in contact with F-Secure customer support about this at least a couple of times, and they say that there is nothing they can do about it, if Apple won't change how iOS works (which I don't doubt).

That's what I am afraid of: f-secure being dependent on Apple to fix something in iOS *and* that being low-prio for Apple.

I wonder whether other VPN apps have the same problems? Or do they use a different technical solution to setup and maintain a VPN solution? Questions, questions. Whatever the answer is, for the end user it's far from ideal.

I don't mean to bash the product, it works fine on OSX. It's just that the usability on iOS is affected by the too frequent inability to reestablish the VPN connection in a timely manner. It will work fine most of the time, but a couple of times per day it will not and it costs me several minutes to workaround it.

Sincerely hope that it gets better soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Product & Pricing Info