Release TP111 and new interface colors. Do you like it or not?

Hello,

Yesterday i installed new TP111 and i see new interface colors. To be honest, i don't like it... How is your opinion?

I sent a message via beta.f-secure.com

Spoiler
Hello,

I installed today TP111 and to be honest i am not impressed about changes in interface look and colors.
New icons in LaunchPad & home window are totally ugly. First, they are looking as made in Paint. They are completely not detailed. Also the type under icons is not looking good on Windows 7/8 and it's jagged or something. 
And i don't know why you've changed blue color tonation. Now it's very bright and with the new black blackground home window is looking... futuristic. Is this neccessary? Previous blue color was fantastic but now all icons, for example try icon is looking now very bad. 
So my suggetions are:
- to unify font for good look with Windows 7/8
- to revert old, good blue color
- change completely black background to light grey

And i got the reply:

Spoiler
Hi Kamil,

We will update the icons in the next release. The colors will most likely stay the same as it is inline with the new branding colors.

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Cezar

And what is your opinion?

Comments

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser
    I also fed back similar to the beta team. At the moment, I'm not keen on the black theme, and I feel that it looks like a work in progress, which it may well be, so I'm reserving judgement for now.

I also have an issue where some of the text doesn't fit properly, and breaks the display by dropping to a second line. A font adjustment certainly seems to be required.
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

I not sure.. that I able to "imagine" your current experience, but... just because it's have some points about:

"colors and related things around paint".... and answer related with "changes";

Maybe... I can to understand... how it can be;

But it's totally style of Windows 8 and other modern systems...

- Acid colors.... and "pictures", which looks like "by Paint" - but it's not totally like that.

- White, gray, black (close to shadow) it's design of Windows 8 / Windows 8.1  ; Related with modern current "target"-platform.

Also... here so popular classic and beauty "Northern Blue";

Also current changes for "Freedom UI" with new brand-value and all other (which can too look about any mobile applications).. visible are OK... http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Research/Mobile_Threat_Report_Q1_2014_print.pdf

If you talk about current colors (which able to look in any fresh pages by F-Secure or some of mobile applications; or latest Mobile Threat Report, for example).... so, it's nice Blue. And in any UI it's should be beautiful.

But for logos (lnk or etc) - probably need more classic colors, because... any other software-companies.. not ready for "up-to-date" ; And it's strange... when one application have "another view" with others.

And it's good.. that F-Secure... ready be "up-to-date" with current platform-design;

But.... anyway... "black" good... just if it's shady or close to lightly black (close to gray);

And.. also... current "rechanges" in conception of colors (any webpages/mobile reports/mobile applications) - good... yes... but except "great ui". Smiley Indifferent

• pianista47
    pianista47 Posts: 42 Enthusiast

For me thing is simple; i just think that old icon was really good. Now it looks really ugly:

Przechwytywanie.PNG

• Ukko

Hello,

Because - picture not visible yet...

I also attach picture with colors, which "prepare" to see in your example;

If it will be same :) probably it's mean.. that it's indeed Windows 8 / 8.1 / new other    style and Microsoft-design (F-Secure AV/IS commonly for Microsoft Windows OS - that UI/Colors... great if "related" with platform);

nordlige_blå.png

• Simon
    Yes, the developers have gone for the 'flat' design of Windows 8/8.1 for the icon, and I don't have an issue with that, although, personally, I'm not over keen on the whole 'flat' thing with Windows 8/8.1. From a 'design' point of view, to me, there is little 'design' in a flat surface, and certainly, the old '3D' icon had more depth to it, and looked nicer.

The thing with a black theme is that others have already been there and done it, examples being Norton and Bitdefender. I feel that the blue theme of FS was part of the brand identity, and really, it should try to maintain this identity, rather than looking like other brands.

Ukko, have you signed up for the beta program? If not, I think you'd find it interesting to do so. :)

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/labs_global/internet-security-technology-preview
  • Ukko

Maybe I also was with "wrong description" about my dreams.

I more talk about "color like color";  Just because  "old" (current) logo of F-Secure (brand - Protecting the irreplaceable) - so nice for me too. Probably it indeed great logo/picture; Color - pretty and good too (probably so good and so nice);

But... some days ago - when I read Mobile Threat report (latest one) - it was with a lot of new "colors/logos" and etc.

Also here was "new one - blue" - which able to see in some other pages of F-Secure or mobile applications.

And I thought - "Hmm... it's so nice and lovely blue". And now I read... that it's probably can be already in some of "beta"-versions... but words about current "blue" was without "good emotions"; But probably "that new blue" - so impressed me :)  I wrote about that.

Any logo-pictures in Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 style... for "desktop" probably not nice, of course... just because it's hard to create color for "any" background... and other applications on "desktop" must be also with "same style";  It's true.

But "color" in UI.. must be beauty...   

Also current colors of blue.. are visible on Windows any pages about Windows 8.1 or something related. It was always for me.. like "good blue"-example :) But I still not sure.. that it's indeed that "blue"... because picture still not visible. 

but on MobileThreat Report also was "yellow"-logo of F-Secure :) and it was "strange" :) but in "all" background-setting... "not bad".

A little be about "black themes UI" in protection-software... it was always "strange" for me.. in any other companies (it's indeed a lot; some of them.. also have "custom"-themes, which mean - able to change... or choose between some of themes for UI);

EDITED:

For example, I mean "blue"... which able to look on younited-page or any other description for F-Secure products:

http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/younited

Here in part about "how does it work".

• Ukko

Ok.... Now - I can to see your picture;

So, probably it's nice "blue" (!?) like color. And I mean... some kind of that blue. I still think.. that it's indeed nice blue;

Current (old) logo was beauty too (I agree).

New "full logo" indeed... can be "a strange" for tray. But maybe here (tray-picture) it's not really "worst" too.

• pianista47

I hate Windows 8... I hate Windows 8 interface, flat look... For me Windows 8 made regress in apps design. Now all is maximally simple, totally colorful, everywhere quadrates... No, no, no, again no. I'm waiting for Windows 9... Go away Windows 8 and never come back.

• Ukko

May be..... I  also prefer old systems like interface (and in some places.. for applications design).

But modern one - not "worst" for me too. And related point - good, when applcations have UI, which connected with OS-design (here already... true... F-Secure not just for modern OS).

Also.. when "Windows 8"-style created indeed "like need" - it's nice. Here bad - that not all developers/designers... did that.

And sorry... on that point.. I stop created words in your topic :)

Just because you waiting "experience" from people, who have that.

My "experience" was just about "color type"/"blue"; And it's - can be "questionable" (probably);

• Simon
    Will the new interface be the same for Mac users, I wonder?
  • yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

the community should not forget this is a technical preview and, as such, still lacks some polish which will come on the way. As far as I'm concerned, I like streamlined design, some will call it "flat" but love it or hate it, windows 8 design is here to stay and "flat design" will widespread.

As I mentionned in my tester"s suggestions to the devs, the black gui should not be solid but have a degree of trnsparency, same for white, the angles and borders (outlines) should be with softer angles.

When you see the attempts made by Panda and Bullguard, it really kills the eyes... In short I'm happy with the direction the devs have taken.

• sapiens
    sapiens Posts: 14 New Member

Changing interface colors to me it seems a bit sudden.
    I do not think that F-Secure has to follow the example of other programs.
    A change is always necessary, but it should be gradual. The old colors were just need a little contrast, or a slight change in hue.
    As for the logo I find that the old version looks more elegant. In addition it is well established.

Hi

Thank you all for the comments. We are reading them all even if not replying to everyone.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• yeoldfart

I have the feeling that many people who are not in favor of  the UI change wold be much more positive if the chosen colors were subdued and if transparency could be controlled by the user, presently the colors are too much contrasted, I suggest the devs work on this for the next or second next rls.

• pianista47

Thank you very much, Ville :)

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

Running nice and light so far.

Do not mind new color scheme; maybe possibility of choosing alternative skins, this one and the old one? The new scheme may be more relevant to Win 7/WIN 8 as desktop icon and tray icon in particular look much better with these OS's compared to XP.

This TR may be picking up more spyware/adware than previous versions according to my testing. Any confirmation of this?

• pianista47

Possibility to choice between old blue look and new black would be very nice. 

• yeoldfart

may I repeat again and again: the white background is too much aggressive, black makes blue text and captions very hard to read, background transparency and/or subdued colors are needed here. good examples are bitdefender or norton which are not "eye aggressive" at all.

@Blackcat Nice catch. The new TP is running a new beta scanning core.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Blackcat
    Blackcat Posts: 503 Influencer

@Ville 

thanks for confirming Smiley Wink

• Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 22

I like the new colors. Needs a little work but overall I like the change.

• pianista47

Installed new TP112. And sorry but... icons are still very ugly... First: now icons in tray and launchpad have black background. In launchpad it seems quite good and icons are good quality. But tray icon is very small and due black background "F" icon is almost invisible. And new icons in main window is a COMPLETELY fault... Just look:  They are completely not detailed in compare to launchpad icons. So... They are changes but these changes aren't good, sorry. 

What is tour opinion Guys?

And i still think that colors and look before TP111 were better... 

• yeoldfart

@ piainista47

You're right on this point, with a high res screen (1920 x 1080) these icons on a black background are "blurred", same with the main guy, let me suggest that the guy be made to adapt itself according to the screen res ?

on another hand I'm certain the devs aren't blind and will iron this out Smiley Wink

• Simon

I'm on Windows 7 with the beta, and before I have another moan about the font size, and text not fitting, does anyone else see the same in Launch Pad as me, in that the text for 'Browsing Protection' is cut off?

LauchPad.png

I do agree that the tray icon could have done without the black background, especially as it is not mis-matched with the Desktop icon, which I hope doesn't get the black background!

• Simon

I'm actually seeing this as the 'Home' screen, which seems to be different to how others are seeing it.  Maybe a font issue with different operating systems?  This is on Windows 7:

MainFS.png

Maybe the font and size is being taken from Windows settings, rather than using it's own?

• Ukko

Hello,

Which edition of Windows 7 do you have?!

Any different-points with fonts can be related with default-system fonts.

For example, any Media Center editions use another one. And F-Secure probably take that "default"-setting for some interface-places (most companies do that).

----------------------------------

Current picture with Launch pad - so "scary launch pad". :)

• Simon
    It's Windows 7 Home Premium, Ukko. I just tried fiddling with some of the font settings, but nothing made any difference, so perhaps I didn't find the right one.
  • yeoldfart

same sight on my rig with windows 8.1

• Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 22

Well after looking at the Icon and colors a little more closely I think the Icon is too small. The colors I can get used to with some work. Is there really that much of a reason to change? We have excellent protection and that is what matters most to me.

• yeoldfart

most of users will be rebuked by a gui which does not appeal to them and/or will be conforted in their opinion by reviewers

This discussion has been closed.