Whitelist Malwarebytes

baroque-quest
baroque-quest Posts: 74 Enthusiast
edited March 2022 in Feature Requests

Perhaps this idea has already been implemented, but I will suggest it anyway.

Every now and then F-Secure has a major update requiring an installation, not just adding files.  I assume it actually uninstalls the old version and installs the new one, which includes a check for competing AV products.  I am not the only F-Secure user who also uses the Pro version of Malwarebytes and we do not want to be forced to reinstall Malwarebytes after an F-Secure update.  I would like to suggest that F-Secure whitelist Malwarebytes so it is not uninstalled.

0 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Just curious if this has happened to you already, or if it's more of a concern that it "might" happen?

Personally I don't think it's a problem. Here's why:

It's called an Anti-Malware(instead of Anti-Virus) for the reason that it's designed as an additional protection that should run alongside an Anti-Virus product. In fact, Malwarebytes doesn't recommend running it without an AV.

F-Secure Internet Security is on the Malwarebytes Compatibility List and is regularly tested for compatibility with the latest versions.

Latest annual report: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2013/08/malwarebytes-av-compatibility-report/

MBAM compatibility.png

Speaking of Malwarebytes: yesterday the 2.0 Anti-Malware was released: http://blog.malwarebytes.org/news/2014/03/malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0/

(but I like to wait a while to see if other users think it's stable, before I upgrade)

A review of the old Beta version here(incl comments): http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/30/first-public-beta-malwarebytes-anti-malware-2-0-now-available/

• baroque-quest

I read somewhere of complaints by people who had MSE and Malwarebytes Pro installed.  They uninstalled MSE and installed a paid anti-virus, with Malwarebytes being uninstalled during the process.  The comments were not regarding F-Secure, but I just wanted to make sure it was not removed.  I have set-up a few systems for other people with F-Secure and Malwarebytes Pro, and to be honest, I do not want them calling me when F-Secure releases a new version.

I am going to install the new Malwarebytes today on a second system.  I'll post later on that.

• baroque-quest

I just installed Malwarebytes 2.0.  I uninstalled the previous version before installing the new one and it remembered the activation codes, which was nice.  It is radically different than before and I really like the GUI for the most part.  By default, rootkit scanning is not activated, which is wrong in my opinion.  There are also two settings for self-protection, which, I assume, are to prevent malware from infecting Malwarebytes itself.  I checked both of those settings, as they are not activated by default.  I have had no problems at all with it; F-Secure did not complain either.

• NikK
    NikK Posts: 903 Forum Champion

Ok, I can understand your concern in that case. Well, until there's such a whitelist for MBAM we can only hope it'll continue to run as smooth as it has so far.

Thanks for reporting back about 2.0, I look forward trying it out.

• MargosDezerian
    MargosDezerian Posts: 113 Enthusiast

Malwarebytes Pro has a realtime protection which will be in conflict with your first installed AV(in this case F Secure).You should never use 2 real time protection AVs at one time.Malwarebytes Free has no real time protection so it should be fine.

• Jaims
    Jaims Posts: 846 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi @baroque-quest

F-Secure no longer blocks Malwarebyte. Co-existence is not the problem for both products, there might be issues when malware is found - it is not obvious which product gets to clean the file.

This discussion has been closed.