Should I allow "host process for Windows services?"

Home user here, so forgive if this is a stupid question. I have F-Secure installed on a Windows 7 PC and occasionally when I boot I get a prompt form F-Secure asking if I should allow "Hose process for Windows services" to do somehing (act like an Internet host maybe)?  I realize this is "svchost" and there are usually multiple copies of it running. 

When I answer Deny to the prompt, it seems my system starts to run really slow, until I reboot. Should I click Allow? Anyone have advice?

Thanks.

-Jack 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Jack,

Welcome to F-Secure Community.

Kindly refer this page for what is "svchost.exe". Please tell us more about your system:

Which F-Secure program you have?
    What is your Operating system? (Windows XP/ Windows Vista/ Windows 7?)

Which type of message you get for this process? (System modification attempts / Connection attempts?)

Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Jayson

• jmassa
    jmassa Posts: 3

Hi, Jayson. 

Thanks. 

I have F-Secure Internet Security 2011 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I just got the same message for another program this morning. The message yesterday was:

"Host process for Windows services tried to act as an Internet server" --I think this is the right text.

The message today was 

"Akami Netsession client  tried to act as an Internet server" with Allow and Deny buttons.

I looked up Akami and it apparently is a legitimate network program that is inlcuded with Flash (I have Adobe CS5 suite installed).

Still not sure if I should allow or deny? 

thanks

Jack

• jmassa
    jmassa Posts: 3

Thanks, Jayson.

I have changed that setting and will see if there are any problems.

Jack

• Enfcmedic384
    Enfcmedic384 Posts: 181 Enthusiast

When I had Kaspersky Pure 2.0 this would drive me up the wall too. I would see about 34 or these processes running at one time. The Kaspersky guy told me it was normal but, now that I switched back to F-Secure I would definitely contact them directly at the F-Secure tech support telephone line this way you get a quick answer ASAP because the program keeps flagging it as malicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info