Excluding Folder Structure from RT Scanning

NugentS
NugentS Posts: 3 New Member

Hi,

I am using SAFE v18.2 (if that's of any use). I have a folder structure on one disk (non root folder) that contains 10's of thousands of folders, each containing dozens of folders, each containing a few files. There are no executables, just data in these files.

I would like to exclude the folder and all its subfolders and files from real time scanning, ransomware protection etc. I don't mind the folders being scanning during a routine scan.

As far as I can tell I am unable to do this. I can remove individual folders but not subfolders (unless I am wrong) and its obviously impractical to add half a million folders to the exclusion list

Any ideas?

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user.

Is it Windows system?

So, for example, "drive:\" with folders and its subfolders. For example, "drive:\folder". You want to exclude this folder from real-time scanning, right? So, when you add it to related exclusion list (Exclude files or folders from scanning | SAFE | Latest | F-Secure User Guides) - what is next?

As far as I can tell I am unable to do this. I can remove individual folders but not subfolders (unless I am wrong) and its obviously impractical to add half a million folders to the exclusion list

How you tried to check about the result?

And did you mean, that if "drive:\folder" is excluded - its subfolders still scanned (by real-time)? Perhaps, it should not be so.

As such, it also should be possible to exclude "drive:\folder\subfolder".

What about list of protected folders (Ransomware protection) - well, there maybe a bit another flow - but surely - can be a way to fit your needs.

Could you provide a bit more information about your situation (and based on my try to suggest something). What if I did not get something OR maybe you managed to get idea what to clarify.

Sorry for my English.

Thanks!

Answers

• NugentS

It is windows

I think the sub folders are still scanned - but am willing to be corrected.

The problem I am getting (and trying to fix) is that access to this folder structure is being slowed down by something. I am assuming its the AV software

The folder is actually F:\NextCloud\Folder\ [and everything below this]

• NugentS

Hmmm, can't edit.

Testing seems to imply that AV is at least part of the issue

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited December 2021

Hello,

Thanks for your response. One small note - I tried to check it with beta installation (in case of a bug).

The problem I am getting (and trying to fix) is that access to this folder structure is being slowed down by something. I am assuming its the AV software

So, an interesting point. I will try to check it somehow with my own experience, but about real-time scanning as such:

I tried next:

Before any exclusions:

• drive:\Folder\Subfolder
    • I tried to create "eicar-test file" (EICAR test file - Wikipedia) under its subfolder (drive:\Folder\Subfolder\Another\test.exe), and then under subfolders.
    • real-time scan pick it up at saving. or at opening / accessing (if file is .txt);

After I added "drive:\Folder\Subfolder" to excluded items:

• I do able to create eicar-test file in any places: excluded one and its subfolders.

So, at least, with my experience - real-time scanning did not detect it under any subfolders of excluded one. But your point was about the other side of potential interference - so I will try to check that too.

One addition - manual scan (on-demand, context scan, direct files scanning) should still detect any malicious items even in exclusions objects from real-time scanning.

Thanks!

// since NextCloud - can it be somehow network-related delays during access to folders. Or no sync, fully offline drive/folder? I also don't know much about Nextcloud, but the result of a random search is an article about Virtual Drive. Could it be on your system? I mean, is it a coincidence (the name of mentioned folder on the drive) or maybe something important for the ability to repeat your experience (means it is a virtual drive feature).

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info