Installation window disappears exactly at 40% - any ideas?

Michael_T
Michael_T Posts: 8 Explorer

Hi,

I had to uninstall Internet Security and wanted to re-install it (using F-SecureNetworkInstaller-IS.exe).

The installation routine is downloaded and installation starts, but exectly at 40% completion the window disappers and nothing happens. I than tried to install SAFE (using F-Secure-Safe-Network-Installer_amhpfd1uwjpns_.exe) but the result is exactly the same: running up to 40% and puff - window gone.

I tried uninstall - routines (e.g. Fs185UninstallationTool.exe), did reboots and so on. No change.

Has anyone an idea what's going wrong here?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Accepted Answer

Answer ✓

Hello,

This looks like a program crash while detecting conflicting software. If you know how to collect a crash dump, then please do so and send it to our support email address, we can then fix this issue. If you don't know (as usually only developers know) then don't worry, we will get this eventually through Microsoft. (Report.wer indicates that it was sent to Microsoft)

To avoid the crash and install the product, you need to skip detecting conflicting software. You can do this by running the installer from command-line with this option:

--skip-sidegrade *

Let us know if it works.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited October 2021

Hello,

I am also only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Maybe good to know what is your OS (Windows 7, Windows 10)? And mentioned "Fs185UninstallationTool.exe" is about F-Secure Uninstallation Tool from this discussion: Purchased F-secure having trouble downloading . Stuck on 44% — F-Secure Community ?

Also what is your device?

Looks like a bit of as crash happened. I think you could try to manually search some more information: Windows Events journal, F-Secure logs during/after installation. Or to reach their official Support Channels: Contact support | F-Secure (at least, they could remotely assist and they allowed to check some diagnostic logs).

Also next Knowledgebase article with mention of 40%: F-Secure product installation fails on ARM-based devices - F-Secure Community

// but, perhaps, should not be applied to your situation. Because based on your description - previously F-Secure IS worked.

Thanks!

• Michael_T

Hi Ukko,

thank you very much. The "ARM-based ..." article leads in the right direction. I guess, F-Secure has a bug in this part of their installation SW. While showing 40%, you'll see the note "Checking compatibility" (for about 10 seconds until the window disappears). Compatibility should not be an issue with my PC (details later), but even if it was an ARM-based machine, there should be a message like "not supported" istead of just disappearing without any notice (as I can see it and as stated in the mentioned article). As I said, F-Secure internet security (IS) was running for years, but since a few days I had a strange effect: ".docm"-files (Word files with macros/VBA embedded) seemed to disappear from HD shortly after saving. This was the reason for uninstalling IS, because de-activating didn't show any change. And now o wonder: I can save .docm without trouble, but cannot re-install IS.

Ukko, you ae right, I forgot some details: Win10 Pro 64Bit 21H1 latest patches are applied. PC: Fujitsu with Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 660 @ 3.33GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD with ~180GB free.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks

• Michael_T

... I forgot: Unfortunately there is no file "fssetup.log" on my PC. Perhaps logging starts after compatibility check has completed, but this point is never reached :-(

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for the delay with my reply! And huge thanks for your response!

I guess, F-Secure has a bug in this part of their installation SW. While showing 40%, you'll see the note "Checking compatibility" (for about 10 seconds until the window disappears).

This is likely to happen at the very beginning of the compatibility check. I will try to do a clean install on my system later (just to understand what will happen in my situation; and which logs / information can be useful). So, must be something there as a reason for this behavior. Can it be any other security solutions (which should be detected at this stage)?

even if it was an ARM-based machine, there should be a message like "not supported" istead of just disappearing without any notice (as I can see it and as stated in the mentioned article).

Yes, indeed. I think this article is a kind of "placeholder" until the flow is fixed. Let's just say a description of a known bug or / and limitation.

".docm"-files (Word files with macros/VBA embedded) seemed to disappear from HD shortly after saving. 

A bit strange that deactivating / disabling it didn't help.

Also, because your words about recent changes. It could be received upgrade to F-Secure IS (?) - What's New in F-Secure SAFE for PC and Internet Security - F-Secure Community

However, I do not see any particular change in this area. Just if some updates to one of engines / technologies.

In general, based on macros/VBA embedded files - sounds as "AMSI" can be involved. I did not remember if this option / setting enabled by default with F-Secure solution (and if available with F-Secure IS). But, again, disabling all security features should disable it too (probably). Anyway, good to install F-Secure IS back and then troubleshoot this trouble. :)

Well, also will be fine if specification of your system can be examined by F-Secure developers. I am not sure that there is something strange.

... I forgot: Unfortunately there is no file "fssetup.log" on my PC. Perhaps logging starts after compatibility check has completed, but this point is never reached :-(

Just based on my previous experience. There can be clean up after unsuccessful installation try.

But you could double check paths like:

C:\ProgramData\F-Secure

C:\Users\[[username]]\AppData\Local\F-Secure

Perhaps, some logs still exist.

But will provide my own 'usual' steps after uninstallation / reinstallation.

First, I uninstall F-Secure IS (or F-Secure SAFE) by common way. From Windows control panel (or any other way) by default uninstallation routine.

Then, restart system.

After, Support tools | F-Secure - F-Secure Uninstallation tool against all remained traces. If your experience is about only F-Secure IS -> just choose all options and clean it up. Even logs.

restart system.

As additional steps - I delete remained folders manually (usually, empty folders already). Then, I can launch CCLeaner (for example) and perform registry check - a bit more entries to remove.

Then (sometimes) I manually check against F-Secure registry entries / places. So, remove them too. Perhaps, this is not so necessary.

Restart system.

Then I ready to install F-Secure IS or F-Secure SAFE. If you will be with a bit more time - could you check against this? I mean, what if just something need to be cleared.

Since 'compatibility check' is also about check against other F-Secure solutions.

The only thing I can also to think - just because your Windows 10 with Pro edition. Could you check against some 'extra' options or settings in Windows Security center. Just in case, if they sounds too much specific - could you temporarily disable them and try to install F-Secure IS or F-Secure SAFE. I mean, my edition is not Pro - and I will not be able to check against this point (or even to think if something related there). For example, any memory or interruption options. Actually, F-Secure SAFE (IS) should disable Windows Defender (* Microsoft Defender) during installation. So, maybe this is exactly this "40%" step. and something goes wrong.

Thanks!

• Michael_T

Hi Ukko,

thanks a lot for the many ideas you have brought into the play. Windows Defender is the only security suite installed (and perhaps remainders of the previous IS installation as you have depicted). I'll check for it. Unfortunatey I will have time for further inverstigations earliest from Thursday on. Any further ideas are welcome!!! I'll come back end of this week.

Again many, many thanks for your support!

Michael

• Michael_T

... I couldn't wait and did some investigations ...

No F-Secure found (neither dir, nor file) but: I found directories, like: AppCrash_F-SecureNetworkI_e068f416...

Seems to be one dir per installation run. Inside such a dir there is only one file named "Report.wer".

I can provide the content of such a file, here an excerpt:

TargetAppVer=2021//09//07:06:34:21!1ac207!F-SecureNetworkInstaller-ISUpgrade.exe

BootId=4294967295

TargetAsId=522

IsFatal=1

EtwNonCollectReason=1

Response.BucketId=90f176dc85dbfbd536e9c3e37f19d258

Response.BucketTable=1

Response.LegacyBucketId=1651066120265388632

Response.type=4

Sig[0].Name=Anwendungsname

Sig[0].Value=F-SecureNetworkInstaller-ISUpgrade.exe

Sig[1].Name=Anwendungsversion

Sig[1].Value=6.4.10.0

Sig[2].Name=Anwendungszeitstempel

Sig[2].Value=613707ed

Sig[3].Name=Fehlermodulname

Sig[3].Value=StackHash_ab5d

Sig[4].Name=Fehlermodulversion

Sig[4].Value=10.0.19041.1288

Sig[5].Name=Fehlermodulzeitstempel

Sig[5].Value=027db076

Sig[6].Name=Ausnahmecode

Sig[6].Value=c0000374

Sig[7].Name=Ausnahmeoffset

Sig[7].Value=PCH_72_FROM_ntdll+0x00072F8C

Sounds interresting, but without further documentation or the knowledge of the developers I don't know what to do with this info.

... but now, I have to return to my regular work ;-)

• Michael_T

Hi Ville,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Do you mean this kind of dump (attached list). Which e-mail address may I use in order to send you such a file?

Michael

• Michael_T

Short notice: --skip-sidegrade * works.

Ville, thank you for the workaround!

• Michael_T

Hi Ville,

even if the workaround is OK for now, I guess you'll debug the "compatibility check". I've packed all dumps into a single ZIP file (~1,5MB), but as mentioned before, I'm not sure where to send (which e-mail address). Can you please provide it to me?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi @Michael_T

I just sent you a private message with instructions.

Thanks in advance

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info