Banking Security turns off when I complete login to a listed site

Ron11
Ron11 Posts: 19 Observer
edited January 2022 in F-Secure Internet Security

Until a few days ago, Bank security stayed on until I turned it off after use. Now it automatically turns off after I log in to a bank so I am no longer secure. Has anyone else experienced this loss of service?

Answers

• Lucaseuropa
    Lucaseuropa Posts: 301 Rock Star

Dear @Ron11,

May I ask how does the banking protection banner turns off exactly? You can see it at first upon logging in to your banking website and then it disappears?

Also, on which device does it happen and which browser are you using?

Thanks for more info! 🙂

• Ron11

Hi Lucas,

Previously it would open automatically when one of the sites I've designated is opened & stays on until I close it down. Now, on only some designated sites, not all, it opens automatically but then closes as soon as I finish entering my password, apparently leaving me insecure.

Cheers,

Ron

• Ron11

Hi again, the closing consists of the green border unwinding from top centre to bottom centre where it completely disappears leaving me to assume I'm no longer protected. This happens the instant I enter my password for the site I want secured, no other keystrokes.

Hi @Ron11

We recently published some changes to how banking protection works. It now tracks whether you are on the banking site much more accurately, which results it turning itself off much more frequently. There could still be some issues with this new logic, we are looking into it. Could you check what your browser address bar contains when this happens - does it go to another site after login?

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Ron11

No, the address remains that of the bank, just the green border retracts & disappears immediately I enter the password.

• Ron11

Woa, I've just discovered that First Direct Bank triggers Bank Safe OK & stays in but HSBC doesn't even start opening Safe.

Now getting concerned that something that has been so reliable for so long now has to be monitored every time just to check if it's safe to use - & often isn't!

Urgent correction is now needed, this is dangerous!

• Ron11

I hope the silence on this topic is as a result of concentration on frantic correction coding. If not, it's a total abrogation of your responsibility to your users!

• Amirul
    Amirul Posts: 161 F-Secure Employee

Hi @Ron11

Currently our team is aware on this issue and in the midst to rectify the issue accordingly. Your kind patience and support is highly appreciated. We may need to get some information from your end so that we can speed up to resolve the issue.

I did a test on on my personal device and it seems the HSBC banking site triggers the banking protection banner. May I know, which HSBC online banking site that you access from your end? You can provide the link by replying to this post.

If possible, can you provide the link of your banking site when the banner is showing and also the link when the banner start to disappear or not showing at all.

I did see you also post on this discussion, can you confirm if issue still persist with the Paypal website.

• Ron11

Sorry, I was referred to the Bug report by an email message from f-secure with a link, so responded there once.

I tried to post the HSBC Business link but the forum says I haven't been around for long enough! Banking now works correctly on HSBC, which it certainly didn't the other day having attempted several times.

Some of the financial sites I use almost daily no longer trigger Banking, one does so I open it first & it keeps Banking protected while I open the other sites, all of which formerly opened automatically.

Paypal is different, it doesn't open Banking at all when I browse to Paypal UK but if another site like ebay takes me there, it opens immediately but as soon as I enter my password, Banking closes down.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I am only an F-Secure user. And just some thoughts not about discussed trouble, but points around.

I tried to post the HSBC Business link but the forum says I haven't been around for long enough! Banking now works correctly on HSBC, which it certainly didn't the other day having attempted several times.

There are some limitations (most of them are by design). For example, delay between two Banking Protection sessions. If one is over - then only after one minute(?) - another can be triggered. In your description were words about "First Direct Bank" with a proper state. And then HSBC with not. Maybe it was about this kind of limitation? If you just tried to check Banking Session flyer too speedy. Anyway, good that currently all is fine.

Some of the financial sites I use almost daily no longer trigger Banking, one does so I open it first & it keeps Banking protected while I open the other sites, all of which formerly opened automatically.

You could also transfer some websites (which you think should be covered by Banking Protection) there: Submit a sample | F-Secure

Choose "URL sample" :: add URL itself :: check "I want to give more details about this sample and to be notified of the analysis results" :: choose URL Type as banking related trouble :: choose trouble type as "banking protection does not activate when entering site". Or any other ways.

Thanks!

• Ron11

Hello UKKO,

When I tried HSBC several times it was over several days, not successive attempts.

When I set up F-Secure banking originally I submitted samples of the sites I needed protection on & they were very good at securing them all. What I really don't appreciate is them updating "security" software without prior testing of the voracity of the new code. They also didn't advise their customers of the change & the need for user vigilance & to check the security of f-secure's coverage of their used sites.

As a user I was left high & dry with an almost totally non-functional facility.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for your response!

When I tried HSBC several times it was over several days, not successive attempts.

I see. So, maybe there was something else. Or very quickly fixed.

What I really don't appreciate is them updating "security" software without prior testing of the voracity of the new code. 

They do it. And generally quite successful. It's just that a pretty specific scenario is required quite often. And more importantly, user feedback.

With your described situation - need to be logged to a certain banking website (or, at least, I could not repeat this trouble with the bank where I tried to check this routine).

They also didn't advise their customers of the change & the need for user vigilance & to check the security of f-secure's coverage of their used sites

Sometimes (or when needed?!) they do it too. At least, it can be Knowledge base article or release notes. But I am not sure the third part of your sentence. Is it about their own websites or just about general coverage of 'reputation / ratings'?

Anyway, if to discuss original topic (BP session turns off when login to a banking website) - partially you are still protected (and was protected) against huge amount of risks. Just before login as such and with clearing clipboard (if password or any data were there) when BP deactivated.

The only unclear point for me - whether BP reactivated then? after some minutes / seconds or after another switch to any place of banking website. Or by opening it with another tab?

I mean, if not.. and BP flyer just disappeared - sounds as "crash".. and maybe just need to contact their official Support Channels for a proper check up. Contact support | F-Secure

If BP flyer re-appears after a minute or so - then.. maybe something more about 'multi'-tabs or subdomains (or any other change). Although, I did not repeat such a trouble when tried to provoke it.

Sorry for my English and for my clumsy opinion.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info