Ramsonware protection

Good morning.

Ransomware protection allows you to select protected folders. My important files are on D: hard drive. Is it possible, instead of adding folders (directories) to add the drive "D:"?

Thank you

Accepted Answer

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

I have been using this feature this way for quite some time now. But I have not yet had the opportunity to assess the effectiveness. Actually, my experience is about multiple drives. For some of them, I also tried to overhead by adding not only the main drive, but also some special folders. In general, I have not met false positives either. But I don't use this system too much for such tasks (and probably with some other systems it can show its trouble sides).

It is impossible to add only "system drive" as entire directory/folder. However, I feel that recommended way is to add only certain / chosen folders for avoid unexpected troubles with some software and directories.

Just a reference to User Guide: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-windows/latest/en/task_8A1E6E8336D94A2996A1596289339773-safe-windows-latest-en

Thanks!

• vfabgar
    vfabgar Posts: 4 Observer

Hello

"D:" Is not my main unit. For file only. That's the question... In the user guide it says "folders", but if I add the disk drive, does it work?

Thank you

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    edited October 2020

Hello,

Yes, it is good to receive an official statement from F-Secure teams. But as my own feelings: if it does not work in that way - perhaps it should not be allowed at all.

Because entire system drive is not allowed (and some certain system folders) to be added to protected list - then it is definitely should work for all folders under the drive (if the drive is added to list) or for certain folder and all its content.

Since I did not encounter any false positive or attempts to perform harm (or is not detected) - so I could not be sure that it work. But, in general, I do able to expect that subfolder of added folders are also protected. With such meanings - if the disk drive is added - then subfolders (content)  are protected by advanced monitoring.

// and, perhaps, 'drive' is treated as a folder (path/directory). Also as for the exclusion list, for example.

Thanks!

• vfabgar
    vfabgar Posts: 4 Observer

Exactly as you say!!! Manually I was able to add the disk drive, but we need confirmation.

Thank you very much for your contribution

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info