FS Protection PC 17.8 releases

2»

Comments

• Urmas
    Urmas Posts: 65 F-Secure Employee

Release 17.8 beta 13 (4.30.7828):

Fixed issues:

• Harmful websites blocked statistic increases when using banking protection (PBL-6540)
    • "Allowed and denied websites" link on block page does not work (PBL-6529)
    • Notifications that browser extension is missing when browsing protection disabled (PBL-6524)

New features:

• Pressing "Dismiss" on the notification about a missing browser extension will permanently suppress further notifications for this browser (SAFE_BUG-03006, PBL-6521)

• alexpower88
    alexpower88 Posts: 19 Explorer

i cant update fs protection!!!

• Ivan_Osipov
    Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Path Finder

Hi alexpower88,

Could you please create a bug report on the https://beta.f-secure.com website with the attached fsdiag file? It would be helpful.

Thanks!

• Ivan_Osipov
    Ivan_Osipov Posts: 77 Path Finder
    edited May 2020

Release 17.8 beta 15 (4.30.8067):

Fixed issues:

• Proxy not resolved from Firefox profiles in non-standard locations (PBL-6560)
    • 100% CPU usage if license not entered and computer reboots (PBL-6576)
    • Allow link is not visible on the Website denied page if URL is long (PBL-6599)
    • Main UI does not open after installation (PBL-6601)
    • Action for the previous flyer happens after clicking a button on the next flyer (PBL-6622)
    • Denied page: URL is not wrapped in Chrome (PBL-6618)

Release 17.8 beta 14 was not released.

Release 17.8 beta 16 (4.30.8071):

Fixed issues:

• Scan wizard not requesting computer restart when it is needed (PBL-6632)
    • fshoster32.exe crash on shutdown (CSBP-22310)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

Updated last night. All seems fine.

• IkariGradius
    IkariGradius Posts: 3 Observer

With so many new features added, this update is gonna be huge and feel like a brand new product. I'll have a blast when it'll be released this summer. Thanks to the F-Secure team and beta testers for their dedication, you guys are awesome !

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

still working like a charm after upgraing my rig to Windows 10 Mai 2020 (2004, 20H1)

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

This has been a longer than usual beta run. Beta 16 is now our release candidate and if all goes well, this will be available for first time installs before mid June. The channel upgrades to existing users will go into big gear during July-August.

Sincere thank you for your contribution, it has been once again very valuable for us.

F-Secure R&D 🌞

• fs-seppo
    fs-seppo Posts: 22 F-Secure Employee

Release 17.8 beta 17 (4.30.8073):

Fixed issues:

• No restart after clicking the Restart button on the Malware found flyer (PBL-6664)
    • Wrong event shown in event history if manual scan requires reboot (PBL-6658)

Seppo

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Thanks for all the releases and a great opportunity to be somewhat part of such magic (still for me) process.

There is one point which I want to ask about current update/upgrade flow. With some days - I tried to use "Gaming mode" (launch system with disabled network, turning on "Gaming mode", turning on network connection) as prevention against downloading updates (traffic) and so. However, I am not sure that it was always the case and probably I encountered state when 'Oneclient SAFE' was with probably "not installed" state (while all other updates were installed and even date of Oneclient SAFE maybe was not 'today') at the time when I did not enable game mode.

However, I am maybe sure that beta 15 or beta 16 installed (received?!) when Gaming mode was enabled. So, it is downloaded(?), installed and so even with Gaming mode. MAYBE.

Then, I tried to check it and met situation when updates (maybe) downloaded based on its progress but then state is switched to 'paused' (instead of installation maybe).

So, does "Gaming mode" prevented installation of updates only? Or should prevent/pause autodownloading it too? I with created fsdiag in those days, but I am not sure that it was about certain clear situation about setting/background/steps and timing (date/how it was).  So, actually this is just ask about expected design.

Thanks!

• Candi1
    Candi1 Posts: 58 Active Engager

Thank you for the update!

Hi @Ukko

Gaming mode works so that when it's turned on, no updates (databases or updates, including product updates) are downloaded and any scheduled scan is cancelled. It indirectly prevents installation of updates by not downloading them. If you have had gaming mode enabled for more than 8 hours, the product will download (and install) updates once and then again not download for 8 more hours. If you click "Check for updates" then it will ignore gaming mode and immediately check for updates. Gaming mode also automatically turns itself off if you restart/hibernate/sleep the computer.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Ukko

Hello,

Thanks, @Ville, for the explanation! I think that my experience was about more than 8 hours of gaming mode turned on. All other things were known to me; and this was the state that I expected. However, I did not know (or remember) about 8 hours point and probably it was definitely about such setting when the product update happened (since situation was after long use).

Other potential situations about downloading databases, maybe, were based on inaccurate enabling gaming mode (too late or temporarily disabled; or maybe also about 8 hours point - what is also likely).

• Ukko

Hello,

Just one small addition to my previous reply. Based on my experience and some tries to understand situation during further fresh repeats:

• at first (first fresh repeat), under Updates logs there was not "LOGGING" end (even when laptop was not on). I tried to ensure that my system is not about any hibernation or so. So, next times - there were end/start for logging.
    • pattern was: turn on laptop with disabled any network connection. then when system is loaded and fs protection is loaded - to enable Game Mode. So, actually there was unsuccessful try get updates by fs protection with 'brief' next check updates (around one minutes; perhaps). So, autocheck updates was rescheduled to not range around hour (but around minute/minutes).
    • when Network connection (Wi-Fi) is enabled then - with 'Gaming Mode' (on) - check updates happened at this rescheduled time. With my experience - updates were downloaded/installed (maybe restricted to count of them - but surely Virgo/Hydra; Capricorn was too and some other like Ultralight Core).
    • between system/laptop were more then eight hours (but all latest repeats were with 'fresh logging'). So, maybe this is why updates were downloaded/installed even with Game Mode enabled. Or maybe this is expected state for first system launch at the day.

Perhaps, I am sure of 'pattern' (and Gaming mode was ON). and based on updates logs (and some my manual tries to look) - updates were installed/downloaded.

Thanks!

Hi @Ukko

Thanks for the testing. I checked from the code and there is one thing that explains this behaviour. When gaming mode is on, the 8 hour delay is calculated from last successful check. If you turned your computer on after a night, with network disabled and turn gaming mode on, it considers that the last successful check was done on previous day and will bypass the gaming mode for one check, due to the 8 hour rule.

Hope this clarifies it.

(F-Secure R&D)

• Urmas
    Urmas Posts: 65 F-Secure Employee

Release 17.8 beta 18 (4.30.8074):

Fixed issues:

• Scan wizard crashes at the end of the scan in some environments (PBL-6729)

• yeoldfart

still the same no fuss, no glitch program for the kind of user I am

• yeoldfart

i have to mention I use it solely online for browsing or gaming:: no strain on any session, W10 fires up in a blaze... congrats to the devs

• yeoldfart

not "blaze" but "breeze" 😊

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

I'd rather have breeze than blaze! It's going to be 34°C here by the end of the week! 🥵

This discussion has been closed.