Android permanent notification icon

The permanent notification icon of F-secure SAFE is a much disccussed topic on these forums. Still I could not yet find a satisfying answer. Also not in "About notifications in SAFE for Android"

My question:

Which notification to Disable in the app notification setting (off the 13 options) to get rid of the permanent one, while keeping full functionality. In other words, only being notified when it is neccesary (new app scanned, virus found, etc...)

Thank you, 

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Based on Online Help:

it is OK to disable notifications. Reduced security is only about "unnoticed" events. And some critical notifications are still shown.

Although, I am not sure what is main reason to disable "notification logo"? It is kind of indicator that security solution is ON (for you). Does it indeed too much "unwanted"?

If so - I tried with my Android 9 device. I tap and hold "the permanent one" logo (another one was about "Finder"). Then system dialog is opened with wording like "hide | show". I choose hide(?) and logo is disappeared from area where is "clock" symbol (for example, in addition to battery and network connection). However, I even do not find how to back visible status for logo by common steps. All is enabled under own FS Protection settings for Notifications. Maybe chosen action is only temporary and I am not sure whether functionality is "changed" or not; but, at least, sounds as a workaround (note: I do not remember such a way with Android 8).

Sorry for my feedback. Good if there will be any official suggestions or feedback from more experienced Android users.

Thanks!

• Blutch
    Blutch Posts: 2 New Member

Thanks Ukko for your reply.

The Hide option you mention is what I did in the past, but it disables all messages of the app as far as I know. This is not what I want.

Today, however I found a new option that I will try. 

When I swipe the permanent notification to the right I get the settings icon. When I press and hold this icon for a few seconds and then release I get a few options. One of which is "minimise". The notification is then only visible when you pull down the notifications.

However I do not know the effects on the app, I guess there are none, but I also do not know whether I will see the non-minimised notifications when there is something I should be notified off.... 

edit: The linked url was known, but does not give me a solution to my issue.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

The Hide option you mention is what I did in the past, but it disables all messages of the app as far as I know. This is not what I want.

Yes, in fact, my suggestion was about further mentioned by you "minimise" option. I only thought that it is pretty strange wording for such and decided to call it by another word (with suspicion that my own situation can be mismatched with any other devices).

One of which is "minimise". The notification is then only visible when you pull down the notifications.

Thus, this is also my own experience and this I tried to suggest as a "workaround".

But, indeed, completely unclear about entire state; and I prefer to keep "logo" symbol as indicator that there is all OK with active status of F-Secure; and just to use it "default" (recommended) state. It was a bit strange at first, but I feel OK about this logo later.

All in all, it is possible to check some things like (malicious app is detected) by F-Secure test file. It is possible to find it through Google Play market as "F-Secure AV Test".

After installation, perhaps, it is possible to dismiss prompt. And check whether there is any notification / logo about or not.  Or some other checks.

edit: The linked url was known, but does not give me a solution to my issue.

Just because I am also not sure that "disabled all notifications" are good - my intention was only support by official documented statements. Since such article with description that, probably, disabled notifications are not about reduced security other than "missed / unnoticed events by user" (via Notification). With some situations - it is not a critical impact.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info