Right click on folder not scanning images

Hi

I have a licenced version of I.S. 2012 installed and when I right click scan on a folder which for e.g. has 5 images (jpg) in it, the scan results and report show NO files where scanned. If I then add a word doc in teh foilder it will only scan that word doc and not the images. I do not have any exclusions set up on my system.

Thanks for any help on this.

Ian

Comments

• ian_ok
    ian_ok Posts: 3

Thanks, all works. Am surprised that jpeg files are NOT KNOWN file extstension...!!

Thanks again

Ian

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp Posts: 432 Superuser

JPG are "not known" to contain executable code and it is not possible to "execute" a JPG by doublclicking it.

This means: JPGs are (currently) not a security risk. If this changes F-Secure will update the extention list automatically.

BR

• ian_ok
    ian_ok Posts: 3

OK thanks for that.

Ian

• Hexo
    Hexo Posts: 240 Active Engager

F-Secure can "only"

ANI ASP AX BAT BIN BOO CHM CMD COM CPL DLL DOC DOT DRV EML EXE HLP HTA HTM HTML HTT INF INI JOB JS JSE LNK LSP MDB MHT MPP MPT MSG MSO OCX PDF PHP PIF POT PPT RTF SCR SHS SWF SYS TD0 VBE VBS VXD WBK WMA WMV WMF WSC WSF WSH WRI XLS XLT XML CLASS ZIP JAR ARJ LZH TAR TGZ GZ CAB RAR BZ2 HQX  

• alconsvr
    alconsvr Posts: 26 Observer

As with all things in life, it depends. A proof of concept, was shown some years ago. But it means that your PC would have another piece of malware already installed. The question is, whether the other EXE would be in virus/malware definitions.

See  here:  http://www.sophos.com/en-us/press-office/press-releases/2002/06/va_perrun.aspx

I don't agree with the option to only scan known file types, in a piece of software for home use, where users are often lacking in basic computer knowledge. This adds to the list of other things I find wrong with this software. Sadly IS 2012 seems to be worse than IS 2011. This is coming from a person who has used F-Secure software for 10yrs.

• motec-data
    motec-data Posts: 47 Explorer

As you wrote, there must be another pice of maleware on this system.

I suspect, however, that F-Secure is able to find and delete this malware.

• Hexo
    Hexo Posts: 240 Active Engager

Normaly the malware isn´t the "jpg". Normaly there are files with the ending like jpg:
    Example:   

virusimage.jpg       .exe 

like this

Ashampoo_Snap_2012.03.26_22h18m53s_001_.png

So it seems that this is an image file but it isn´t. This is an .EXE but you see only the ending JPG.

The entry you have post is very old and i haven´t heard of ony malwarecontent in a jpg. 

On the other hand: If you want to scan all file, this will be no problem. Go to the preference-> manuel scanning and unmark the option: Scan only known files.

After unmark, all typ of files will be scanned.

• etomcat
    etomcat Posts: 147 Superuser

Hello,

"I don't agree with the option to only scan known file types, in a piece of software for home use, where users are often lacking in basic computer knowledge."

Home users lack patience even more they lack IT skills. Scan all files (+scan archives) equals slowness. If that would be the default, users would uninstall the protection suite and choose XYZ competitor. There must be a balance, with a preference for high speed and low resource use for the home / SOHO market.

Remember what happened to Symantec, when they made their AV product heavy and slow for several years. Many users here eventually abandoned Norton AV and came to us to purchase leaner competitors.

As long as the protection is realistic, there is no need to check everything for theoretical threats. (If it's the next Stuxnetan, you are toast anyhow, but luckily she's not after home users.)

• alconsvr
    alconsvr Posts: 26 Observer

@etomcat wrote:

Hello,

"I don't agree with the option to only scan known file types, in a piece of software for home use, where users are often lacking in basic computer knowledge."

Home users lack patience even more they lack IT skills. Scan all files (+scan archives) equals slowness. If that would be the default, users would uninstall the protection suite and choose XYZ competitor. There must be a balance, with a preference for high speed and low resource use for the home / SOHO market.

Remember what happened to Symantec, when they made their AV product heavy and slow for several years. Many users here eventually abandoned Norton AV and came to us to purchase leaner competitors.

As long as the protection is realistic, there is no need to check everything for theoretical threats. (If it's the next Stuxnetan, you are toast anyhow, but luckily she's not after home users.)

Hi,

Considering the list of available file types shown above. I would ask how many unknown file types are present on the average home user PC? Just for fun, I used a file search utility to find anything other than the list above, on my PC, which is full of engineering software. A rough percentage is 8% of total files. Regarding lack of patience. Surely a file 'white list' and background scanning would help.

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info