SENSE Feature Requests
We have been seeing a lot of feedbacks regarding SENSE features in the SENSE board. You may suggest new features here in this thread.
Thank you for all your feedbacks and contributions.
There is a permanent post describing product updates here:
please post your wishes/ missing features here:
- whitelist for trackers
- Data usage per device counter
- iOS app does not count threads, it Shows 0
- more transparent status of the security features
- freedome integrated, of course
- App on two devices without the setup wizard
- used ports per device
- ability to assign fixed IPs14 14Like
-"normal" web admin view for sense wifi-router without restricting it to android or iOS-devices
-chromecast support for sense setup/admin program
-backup/restore facility for settings of wifi-router configs
-statistics for bandwidth and port usage
-logging facility for remote servers/remote alarm facility in cases of abnormal traffic detection(security firmware)7 7Like
All above and....
- IPv6 support
- MDM features for managing all your homes mobile devices.
- Micro-segmentation so that I could have my IOT, workstations and mobile devices in their own restricted silos. Example in dd-wrt feature is called AP Isolation that restrict traffic between wireless clients.8 8Like
All the above features are good to have, but personally i think these are most important and absence of these is really disappointing:
1. Controlling the Sense settings without mobile phone app!
- I mean how stupid is to delay features and options because of app development if you could just have a webportal access like any other router. What was the reason for this implementation? I really want to know!
2. Port fowarding on android app.
3. Browsing protection website whitelisting.
- I cannot understand how this is missing? It's a feature in all other F-Secure products and I know from my experience from home products like Safe and from Policymanager and PSB business products, that you cannot even deploy such a feature without the option for whitelisting..
I really expected more from F-Secure and even more since the Sense release was delayed many times, because you said that it was not ready! Well it still is not!
Thanks all for being early customers, for your contributions and for continuing active feedback.
I've asked our community manager @Laksh to PIN this (or create an official feature request thread) so that all future requests can be collected in to one place. We are also working to update FAQ's and adding some troubleshooting help for issues that have surfaced after release. Hopefully we can address many of your questions then.
Simo Punnonen / SENSE QA Lead
Only as additional feature-request to collection:
from 'Feature Request'-board; created by @PeterHolt ;
Some minor Android -app "fixes" which are quite fast to implement:
Event log should collate events under one mac -address/device. Now Amazon Fire TV is spamming the list (new device between 7-12 minutes) and those should all go under one device (or if not allways, the new device event at least).
There could be Linux PC in device list or at least PC (other) so that i don't have to choose windows PC or mac and have a place for RaspBerry PC also.
I miss an option to switch between a standard DNS and F-Secure DNS or alternative DNS, such as OpenDNS for more privacy. Currently I use OpenDNS, so I can see a statistics of the web usage and simply block unwanted domains by mouse click.
Some devices connect to the manufacturer without the user's consent. I would also like to prevent this.
So if you just put opendns ip address on the dns server in the sense's network configuration, it does not work?
Like 188.8.131.52 (googledns) instead of 192.168.71.1.
Cannot personally try this since i am having some issues with my Sense.
Also you could use something like Pi-hole on a Raspberry Pi for dns server. (requires an extra device)0 Like
- Sense Android app to have to ability to import/export settings and device names ... _ don't want to do a soft/hard reset on my Sense and lose my named devices ... it's taken me a while to type in meaningful names for my devices by manually checking their MAC addresses individually.
- A website whitelisting feature would be a welcome bonus ... currently my Sense blocks a valid subscriber download on my stardock.com account. The only way round this is by stopping browsing protection temporarily.
- As others have stated, need some form of logging report facility as to what Sense is blocking, abnormal traffic etc ... current information on logging using Sense App is a bit basic for my liking.
Other than that I'm happy with the device.
-VPN in and out, a safe way for accessing home devices. 2-way authentication on connections from Internet to home network with Sense app for VPN. This would be so great...
-Multiple WLAN subnet configuration, separate network for DMZ stuff and internal. Now there's two nets, but one is 2,4ghz and the other one is 5ghz. I need multiple 2,4ghz to solve my problems. Of course I can add a wifi router behind Sense. If the upper one can't be done, then this...
Option to set up an Network Printserver for printer attached to the USB port would be nice.
I think we all would like that F-Secure personel would comment on each different feature request, if you are going to implement it.
1. Already developing it.
3. Will, but not yet planned.
4. Not going to be implemented due x reason.
And also any eta and roadmaps would be nice, since we are talking about a product that has a monthly subscription.
This is a bug in our device discovery, we hope that the latest firmware released earlier today stops those duplicate devices from appearing. Please let us know if this is not the case. I'll add a note to UX about missing device types in the list.
Option to allocate dynamically dns local names(sense dns suffix) to devices discovered by sense and option to add/edit them manually afterwards
First off my knowledge of how dns and all that works is not comlete in any way.
Would love an expansion to this (if possible), unless this is what you are describing.
The posibility to set DynDNS address (translation) to local devices so that device, and only that device, is accessed through that external address. I don't know if it is possible to do this easily, or at all...
Note: SENSE don't have to assign/update thiese DynDNS (talk to the dyndns service) the local device can update it on it's own. Only wish there was an option to set the dyndns address that should be associated with the local device.
ex (access to Synology NAS):
SomeOne.dyndns.tld:5000 -> LocalA:5000
OtherOne.dyndns.tld:5000 -> LocalB:5000
Having possibility to run Sense in bridge mode would be great. More advanced users/hobbyists usually have firewall and multiple segments behind that allready in place, and bridge functionality might be usable for gamers also.
For example in my case lack of bridge mode makes using Sense quite limited. I would like to place Sense in front of the FW, to be the next device after the cable modem (and let the FW handle the NAT and port forwarding functionalities).
- Data usage per device counter
- Real time statistics for bandwidth usage
- Possibility to give priority to some devices
- Freedome integrated
- DHCP reservation capability
- Notification on new device discovered on the network
- "Out of home" functionality of the app
- Clean reboot from app
- Force firmware update by app
Option to change wifi channels manually.
Option to have totally different wlan names for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.
(as requested on the finnish forum side: https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SENSE/Sense-Wifi-verkon-nimi-ja-kanava/td-p/96460 )