TVC15
TVC15 Posts: 50 Active Engager
edited October 15 in Password Vault

Hello :)

Could you help me to understand this please, but if our passwords are not stored online, on your servers, but only in our Total apps, how does it sync when my notebook is offline, but I created a test login site on another PC. I shut that PC down, then start my notebook and it's synced to that device? Is it synced through our account somehow? How does it sync in that regard?

I'm used to password managers that sync through the vendors online server, but since the Vault doesn't store our passwords on your server, how does that work → one device is shut down/off, on the other device a test password site is created, then that PC is shut down so it's not connected to the internet, then the other device is started, and the test password gets synced, how? Where is it between that gap of time and of the PC's being offline?

The links below my question are amazing in the replies given, and was explained that the sync happens via backend HTTPS, but where is that new password when it's created, then the PC is shut down, then the other one started and its synced? Is it syncing though my account, even though our personal F-Secure portals do not have a Vault? Is there a backend HTTPS on you servers, that syncs it? Sorry for repeating myself a bit, but I'm just trying to make my question and thoughts clear 😊

During syncing, this same encrypted json structure is sent to the backend via HTTPS. and then other devices get it when they are running, still fully encrypted. So, the password data never get decrypted during its travel from one device to another. Only the local devices themselves are able to perform the decrypting.

I apologize if I'm missing something so obvious that it may be laughable, but try not to laugh to hard 😊I'm just used to the online/server password managers, as I've let my 1Password subscription lapse for what I think is a more secure password manager with F-Secure's Password Vault 😊

Here are the threads that are very helpful and informative in understanding the Vault's security and how the Vault (aside from my question) works.

TIA 😊

F-Secure Total v19.6 on 4 Windows PC's and Android. Also, using the free version of Glasswire, just to monitor any apps. 1st outbound connection.

Pricing & Product Info