🔬| The F-Secure Safe "Virus and Spyware Scan" App?

The F-Secure Safe "Virus and Spyware Scan" is how I protect my laptop. Thus far, every time I run the scan, over 1.5+ million files are scanned and no threats are found. This is awesome. I trust F-Secure. However, I have a total of 1.7+ million files on my laptop.

QUESTION:

Why does the F-Secure Safe "Virus and Spyware Scan" stop at 1.5+ million files?

Accepted Answer

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser
    Answer ✓

Hello,

Thanks for your response! And sorry for my assumption that your experience was about a Windows device.

Perhaps, F-Secure SAFE for MacOS with quite another design of scanning logic and its options. It should probably scan all available items by default.

So where can I check "scan inside compressed files" and uncheck "scan only file types that commonly contain..." ??

Online guide / documentation: https://help.f-secure.com/product.html#home/safe-mac/latest/en/manual_scanning-safe-mac-latest-en

does not mention these or any other options. So, these tweaks are probably only on the Windows platform.

I think with MacOS - everything possible is scanned. In addition, the main layer is Real-time protection. While manual scanning is a kind of "double check" against static treats.

Also, the FIXMe Stick is able to scan all of my files …

Could you find any example of which files were not scanned? Just for understanding what can be a reason.

Probably F-Secure Support ( https://www.f-secure.com/en/home/support/contact ) with an ability to find more information from fsdiag ( How do I use the standalone Support Tool to send an FSDIAG file on Mac? - F-Secure Community (f-secure.com) ).

But I am not sure why some files were not scanned. There can be many reasons, actually. Maybe you can to check some system/security preferences against state of "full disk access" or "system extension" (mentioned in releases notes: What's New in F-Secure SAFE for Mac - F-Secure Community (f-secure.com) )

So should I go back to the FIXMe Stick?

I am not quite sure. At least, I do not feel a reason for that  (based on provided information). However, I do not know how FIXMe Stick works and designed. Based on its website and promo material - sounds cool. But it is more like a scanner (with advanced view and some kind of rescue way). And can be used as an additional tool.

Perhaps, its circumstance of launch is a reason for an ability to scan some more files. But, probably, these files can be 'inviolable' and always 'safe' (otherwise - nothing is working). F-Secure SAFE can not access them or "hook/inject" while scanning. But this is only potential explanation. Good if someone with great knowledge on subject will reply.

In addition, maybe F-Secure team can improve something.

Sorry for my English!

Thanks!

Answers

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I am only an F-Secure user (their home solutions).

However, I have a total of 1.7+ million files on my laptop.

Why does the F-Secure Safe "Virus and Spyware Scan" stop at 1.5+ million files?

First of all, there are two types of scan - brief (virus scan) and Full Scan. Scheduled scanning is also possible. All types, perhaps, will probably have different scan results.

Brief scan is only about the most common and 'critical' system places. Against a kind of impact/result from 'active' malware. And scanning some traditional places like "Downloads" (maybe).

Since of your huge count - I think that your experience is about Full Scan. In any case, manual scanning can be with some additional options. For example, to scan inside compressed files or to scan only file types that commonly contain harmful code. Described there (as example):

• https://help.f-secure.com/product.html?home/safe-windows/latest/en/task_DA9DC2D0CF664461B679DD6157516892-safe-windows-latest-en

To scan more files - need to check "scan inside compressed files" and uncheck "scan only file types that commonly contain...".

However, some files still can be not scanned. Usually, they are listed in  the log report file. You can open it from Scan Wizard window (or from Recent events) and check how many files were not scanned.

The reasons are something like:

• system protected files;
    • were in use/hooked or restricted access to them;
    • encrypted (zipped);
    • too large file;
    • and so on.

Some of them are just indeed impossible to scan or 'unreasoned'. So, certain files are not scanned intentionally. Another possibility is temporary inability to scan a particular item.

Encrypted archives are also tricky/impossible to scan (its content, at least). Very large files are, probably, skipped.

In addition, some files under file-system can be 'bogus' or 'shadow' of one item. So, even if general information about file count is about certain value - the real count of files can be another.

Also, F-Secure scanning probably count each scanned element. For example, ".zip" file is not "one" scanned item. But count of objects inside it.

Thus, it is a bit tricky to expect and know how many files/items/objects were scanned and what the supposed count was.

If your experience is about very specific situation (for example, scanning a certain folder with this number of files - then it is possible to try understand situation a bit more clear). Anyhow, is it possible that information above were partially about your ask / concern?

Thanks!

• Issues4Life
    Issues4Life Posts: 88 Contributor

Ukko ...

Thank you for your response ...

I running on MacOS ...

So where can I check "scan inside compressed files" and uncheck "scan only file types that commonly contain..." ??

Also, the FIXMe Stick is able to scan all of my files ...

So should I go back to the FIXMe Stick?

Again, thank you for your reply ...

This discussion has been closed.
Pricing & Product Info