Browsing/Banking protection not triggering on Firefox

Executive Member

Re: Browsing/Banking protection not triggering on Firefox

@Ukko wrote:

Close Firefox -> re-open it and any of harmful-rated pages are not blocked anymore. I decided to check - does harmful-pages still blocked with Internet Explorer 11  -> and yes - harmful pages were blocked there -> with further re-launch Firefox and harmful-rated blocked too. Did not repeat such impact later.

What you experienced  pretty much happens every time I try. Except of I doublechecked with Edge and Browsing protection needed a reboot (Windows restart) to work again.

@Ukko wrote:.

Maybe I will try to re-check situation with exact your configuration/setting (later). But just because it is still possible to repeat with any of your tries (and as with @gisot1 experience - it was also possible) -> maybe it is good to contact their Support Channels (chat as example):

https://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/contact-support

What if it is known situation for Support. And there are some workarounds or fixes.

Thanks!

I already contacted support. They weren‘t aware of any problems I described and couldn‘t reproduce my issue. 

Superuser

What you experienced  pretty much happens every time I try. Except of I doublechecked with Edge and Browsing protection needed a reboot (Windows restart) to work again.

Yes maybe, but Banking Protection flyer was visible with my experience. When harmful-rated pages were not blocked -> visit banking website and Banking Protection flyer is triggered and active(? I did not check... basically).

Also, does Support requested some log-files? And it was not useful (not visible anything about potential reason)?

Thanks!

Executive Member

In general I dont like the idea of sharing logfiles that might collect more personal information than really necessary. So no. Since I could reproduce this issue on a clean install of Windows 10 and others apparently can as well, I hoped F-Secure could find the bug without having any logfiles.

Superuser

Hello,

I see, good point. :)

With recent F-Secure SAFE builds (beta):

•FSDiag now uses zlib for compression instead of 7-zip (.7z). End-user can more easily now inspect what has been collected before they send it to F-Secure. This helps with privacy and transparency.

As result, .zip-extension is supported by Windows default configuration and possible to unpack fsdiag.zip by common steps (with further re-pack it with only 'requested by Support' and 'inspected by user' logs).

Thanks!

Executive Member

@UkkoYep, know that. But it's time consuming to check all the fsdiag files for personal information. Not really convenient in my opinion.

Superuser

Hello,

Only as my own feedback.

I tried with VM (Windows 10 64bit 1803; Firefox 61.0.1 64bit, stable F-Secure SAFE with its up-to-date modules).

And I did not reproduce trouble result. Will play more (later).

It is clear that trouble is reproduced by two users - but just as my own feedback - that maybe some else dependencies there (or additional steps/setting; or I tried with wrong view).

Also, there (https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Home-Security/Banking-Protection-doesn-t/td-p/109461) was reply by F-Secure like:

....investigating an issue with our backend which affects browsing and banking protection.....

But it's time consuming to check all the fsdiag files for personal information. Not really convenient in my opinion.

Indeed.

Mainly, I thought about potential design when "F-Secure Support" requested certain 'related' log-file (or files) and user do able to unpack fsdiag -> find such items and to inspect only them (so, not entire content of fsdiag). At least, such meanings I read with their Terms (probably?!) too.

Thanks!

Highlighted
Executive Member

@UkkoThanks for checking Smiley Happy

I was curious and also created a VM. Interestingly I couldn't reproduce this issue in the VM any more.Smiley Surprised

F-Secure Product Manager

Hey, we resolved an issue yesterday where some users' clients did not get a reply from the security cloud backend, which most notably appeared as banking protection not triggering. This may have solved your issues also. Please report if you still have problems and we'll take a look at it. Sorry for this to happen to you and wasting your time.

Executive Member

So far could not reproduce experienced issues any more.