FS Protection PC Release 199

Tuula_fs
Tuula_fs Posts: 52 Former F-Secure Employee

This release contains following applications that combined make the FS Protection PC product:

• Common Component Framework 2.99.174
  •  Antivirus 17.199.108
  •  Browsing protection 2.199.6780

Fixed issues:

Common:

• About-window's scroll bar has unintended context menu (SAFE_BUG-01908, CTS-99840)
  • Installation to multibyte language Windows (Chinese, Japanese) fails (SAFE_BUG-01900, CTS-99831)

Antivirus:

• Wrong symbol can be shown for Tools expansion & collapse (CTS-99640)
  • Restarting hoster many times in quick session fails (CTS-99648)

Browsing protection:

• Firefox extension not working with Frontmotion 52 (ok with Firefox 55) (CTS-99828)

• Firefox triggers banking session during Google search (CTS-99496)

• Time limits blockpage gets minimized when receiving reboot dialog (CTS-99797)

• Banking protection flyer not shown on non-100% scaling (CTS-99827)

• Conflicting info about content blocking status when all categories allowed (CTS-99470)

Comments

• Tuula_fs
    Tuula_fs Posts: 52 Former F-Secure Employee

These are the known issues we have noticed and will be fixed later:

• Main UI might fail to open:
      main UI might fail to open with Windows 7 when 16-bit colors and >= 200% scaling level is set.
      Due to user interface rendering framework update (Qt 5.9).
    • It may happen, that Browsing protection does not allow blocked page (CTS-99871)

br,

Tuula

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

All seems fine here, on both Windows 7 and 10.  Had to restart the Windows 7 machine (not unusual), but not Win 10.

• Late
    Late Posts: 10 F-Secure Employee

@Simon wrote:

All seems fine here, on both Windows 7 and 10.  Had to restart the Windows 7 machine (not unusual), but not Win 10.

Please create case in Centercode about Windows 7 reboot.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

This happens nearly every time, and it has already been reported and investigated as a bug several times, with no real outcome.  It seems this is just an anomaly with my machine, and I feel it would be wasting the Devs and my own time to do it all again, but I will if you wish. 

• Late
    Late Posts: 10 F-Secure Employee

@Simon wrote:

This happens nearly every time, and it has already been reported and investigated as a bug several times, with no real outcome.  It seems this is just an anomaly with my machine, and I feel it would be wasting the Devs and my own time to do it all again, but I will if you wish. 

Please do as we had changes that could have caused this.

• Lord_Ami
    Lord_Ami Posts: 70 Active Engager

For what it's worth, neither of my 2 W8.1 machines required restart (which I did nevertheless). All good so far.

• betoche
    betoche Posts: 49 Observer

Hello,
    What about the features you guys promised?
    like showing detections while scanning and also submitting samples to F-secure from the GUI?
    What about this report? did you fix this hole?
    Because I told about it to someone from f-secure but not even one answer after 25 daysSmiley Tongue
    https://www.mrg-effitas.com/current-state-of-malicious-powershell-script-blocking/

I believe they need to take a look at this report!

• betoche

I didn't want to talk about it In forum! But because I didn't receive anything in PV I think it's better to start talking about this report.

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,609 Superuser

@betoche wrote:

Hello,
    What about the features you guys promised?
    like showing detections while scanning and also submitting samples to F-secure from the GUI?
    What about this report? did you fix this hole?
    Because I told about it to someone from f-secure but not even one answer after 25 daysSmiley Tongue
    https://www.mrg-effitas.com/current-state-of-malicious-powershell-script-blocking/

I believe they need to take a look at this report!

Sorry for my unofficial reply;

By report - do you mean this one about potential attack with powershell script and certain tools?

There is topic about:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/F-Secure-SAFE/Staff-needed-F-Secure-failure/td-p/97518

Where was response from F-Secure (but I able to feel that answer concerned another topic with youtube-video; Even both of them about certain tool - which in somewhat reason F-Secure do not detect, but claimed as 'malware'. And other meanings with difference);

As my own feelings about such article (your URL): there is too much many steps which users have to do for proper 'troubleresult'; But, yes, this is only conception which can be with another view or steps;

But generally F-Secure do detect certain powershell-based malicious/harmful tries; This also valid for generic-detections; There is some of generic-detections (based on my experience);

Also this concerned not only powershell-things... because there is quite many other possibilities (more oldschool and pretty normal); Some of them was too much oldschool-tricks (as .hta) that I able to suspect more attention about it with recent days (since still powerful);

But.... always good to read official statement/investigation from F-Secure; Because - if they do not answer about some points (as report about potential attack)- maybe they are not sure about abilities to do something with this (or do not able properly re-check possibilities/meanings); And if so -> maybe they do have a lot of work for improve technologies/design (than publish response). :)

Thanks!

• betoche
    Thnx for your complete answers.
This discussion has been closed.