Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Aspirant

Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Hi Sense Team,

My Sense app has lost all devices!

It says:

- connected (0)

- not connected (0)

However, I can view the status of the Sense router, and change settings, for example, which seems to mean I am definitely connected...?!?

I am running iOS 11.0 Beta 8 (15A5368a), which may have something to do with it...?

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Peter

85 REPLIES 85
Former F-Secure Employee

Re: Sense app on iOS lost all devices

Hi,

Normally the SENSE app should read the device status from the SENSE router and show it on screen, but for some reason it's not able to get that information or something else is going on.

There has been some reports of lost devices from the list, we are still investigating the possible issues but it is not yet clear what is happening. If the situation is still ongoing, you could get a diagnostic log from your device (http://sense.router/diag.log) and send it to us via sense-feedback(at)f-secure.com. Do not paste it's contents here, it may contain things like your public IP address.

Please reference this discussion so I'll know it's you.

Once you have obtained the log, you could try just restarting SENSE and the mobile app and check if the situation is resolves.

Best Regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead

Aspirant

Hi Simo,

I send an e-mail with a diagnostics log to the mail address you provided.

I also restarted the sense, my iphone and the app, and now the devices are back!

Thanks,

Peter

Supporter

Hi,

I had the same issue today, started yesterday (01. Sept)

The issue was 1 of 16 devices was stated connected in the app, only my iPhone. But it worked to block units that was offline from internet access. All devices had working wifi, but was "not connected" in Sense app. 

Reboot of sense router and 2-3 mins later they showed up as connected.

Former F-Secure Employee

I received the diagnostic log.

Looking at your logs we have identified that there is an issue related to the device discovery process clearly visible in the logs, but it may take some time for us to figure out how to reproduce it and fix it.

So the work-around currently is to restart the SENSE router, once we identify the problem it's possible to implement a fix to this issue.

Thanks for providing this data for us, it is important and really helps us improve the product.

Best Regards:

Simo / SENSE QA Lead

Supporter

Would it be an option to add a restart function of the SENSE router from the app? 

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for your input. We will discuss about this feature. Obviously our goal is to build a system that should not require user reboots, but if people find that useful we can consider it.

Supporter

Hi, 

Yesterday evening, this did happen once more. Only the phone with the SENSE app was connected. And since I did a pretty setup, the power is connected behind the TV, and the router is on a small shelf. 
(looking into adding a smart power plug to do a reboot for the SENSE)

After reboot, all devices was displayed online within 4-5 mins. 

Scholar

Hi,

I'm experiencing the exact same issue mentioned in this thread. After some time, let's say a couple of days, SENSE app on my iPad is unable to list the connected or protected devices. Networking works on all devices, threats are blocked and so on, but none of the devices are listed so for example settings of those cannot be configured.

After rebooting SENSE router devices appear on the list normally, but the problem persists after some time. I've done numerous reboots over the past weeks and don't bother anymore unless I need to configure something.

I'm using iOS 10.3.3, latest version of SENSE (AFAIK) and have some 40 devices configured to use SENSE. I can provide logs if that helps resolving this, thanks.

Former F-Secure Employee

Thanks for the report,

We have a pretty good understanding why the device list is empty. There's some kind of an issue with the device discovery process on the SENSE router and it is unable to give a response to the app when it is asking for a list of devices, but we are still trying to reproduce the issue. It is not yet obvious how we get there.

Hopefully we get to the bottom of this soon and can provide a fix.