Steam and F-Secure 2013

Aspirant

Steam and F-Secure 2013

My system is running Windows 7 64-bit and F-Secure 2013. When trying to download games from Steam, I have tried the following scenarios on my system:

(1) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Defender ON - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)

(2) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)

(3) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - One game downloaded via Steam at slightly reduced speed (3.x MB/s). Second game experienced intermittent and slow Steam download (None - 200 KB/s).

(4) F-Secure 2013 ON, DeepGuard OFF, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)

(5) F-Secure 2013 ON, Virus and Spyware Scanning OFF, DeepGuard OFF, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)

(6) F-Secure 2013 Removed, Windows Firewall ON, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Fast Steam download (4.5 MB/s - 5.5 MB/s)

(7) F-Secure 2013 Removed, Windows Firewall ON, Windows Defender ON, System Rebooted - Fast Steam download (4.x MB/s)

At this point, I don't know what else I can try. But, it does seem like F-Secure 2013 is causing the bulk of the problem. I hope that I won't be forced to remove F-Secure 2013 every time I want to download a game from Steam. Please help. Thank you.

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
F-Secure Product Expert

Re: Steam and F-Secure 2013

Hi Paola,

Please try this:

1. Reinstall F-Secure Internet Security 2013 with all features ON.
2. Turn OFF Windows Defender, stop it in Services.msc.
3. Open Command Prompt in elevated mode. ("Run as administrator")
4. Type:
   cd C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure
5. Run the command:
   fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID
6. Test download in Steam.
7. Once downloading in Steam completed, run the command:
   fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID

NOTE: DO NOT leave Network Interceptor disabled.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new" -Albert Einstein

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. Here's what I experienced after following your instructions:

(1) While the Steam program was the active screen, the game download averaged 4.2 MB/s.

(2) If I switch to view a website (browser screen active), where the Steam program is not the active screen, and I switch back to the Steam program after I'm done with the website (browser screen in background, Steam program is the active screen), I noted that the Steam download was between 1.5 MB/s and 2 MB/s. After a few seconds, the download speed picked up to average 4.2 MB/s again. I did this several times during the Steam download and the result was the same each time. If it helps, I am using Firefox v18.0.

I tried repeating the problem using other programs (Notepad, Calculator, 7-Zip) as the active screen, but I could not replicate the issue.

Note: To clarify, the website that I was viewing is the F-Secure community forum. I was not downloading files via the web browser during the Steam game download.

Aspirant

Any news?

F-Secure Product Expert

Hi Paola,

I apologize for late reply, I must have overlooked and missed your post.

The command provided (fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID) helps? From point (1), I believe it did work! How about after you start it again(fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID), the download in Steam still working?

I believe the situation (2) described is a different issue but would need to investigate further.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving kudos. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Highlighted
Aspirant

The command (fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID) did not work. What I posted is what happened while the plugin was stopped (steps 5 and 6 of your instructions). As long as the Steam program was the active screen, the download speed was good. But, the minute I changed to a browser window and the browser was the active screen, the download speed would drop.

When the plugin is re-started (fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID), the Steam download is still very slow.

F-Secure Product Expert

Hi Paola,

Please create a Service Request by sending an e-mail to our Technical Support with the informations below:
   - Your F-Secure program version. (F-Secure Internet Security 2013)
   - Your subscription key.
   - FSDIAG.

- Include this post to the e-mail.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Jayson