My system is running Windows 7 64-bit and F-Secure 2013. When trying to download games from Steam, I have tried the following scenarios on my system:
(1) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Defender ON - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)
(2) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)
(3) F-Secure 2013 ON, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - One game downloaded via Steam at slightly reduced speed (3.x MB/s). Second game experienced intermittent and slow Steam download (None - 200 KB/s).
(4) F-Secure 2013 ON, DeepGuard OFF, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)
(5) F-Secure 2013 ON, Virus and Spyware Scanning OFF, DeepGuard OFF, Windows Firewall OFF, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Intermittent and slow Steam game download (None - 200 KB/s)
(6) F-Secure 2013 Removed, Windows Firewall ON, Windows Defender OFF, System Rebooted - Fast Steam download (4.5 MB/s - 5.5 MB/s)
(7) F-Secure 2013 Removed, Windows Firewall ON, Windows Defender ON, System Rebooted - Fast Steam download (4.x MB/s)
At this point, I don't know what else I can try. But, it does seem like F-Secure 2013 is causing the bulk of the problem. I hope that I won't be forced to remove F-Secure 2013 every time I want to download a game from Steam. Please help. Thank you.
Please try this:
1. Reinstall F-Secure Internet Security 2013 with all features ON.
2. Turn OFF Windows Defender, stop it in Services.msc.
3. Open Command Prompt in elevated mode. ("Run as administrator")
cd C:\Program Files (x86)\F-Secure
5. Run the command:
fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID
6. Test download in Steam.
7. Once downloading in Steam completed, run the command:
fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID
NOTE: DO NOT leave Network Interceptor disabled.
Thank you for the reply. Here's what I experienced after following your instructions:
(1) While the Steam program was the active screen, the game download averaged 4.2 MB/s.
(2) If I switch to view a website (browser screen active), where the Steam program is not the active screen, and I switch back to the Steam program after I'm done with the website (browser screen in background, Steam program is the active screen), I noted that the Steam download was between 1.5 MB/s and 2 MB/s. After a few seconds, the download speed picked up to average 4.2 MB/s again. I did this several times during the Steam download and the result was the same each time. If it helps, I am using Firefox v18.0.
I tried repeating the problem using other programs (Notepad, Calculator, 7-Zip) as the active screen, but I could not replicate the issue.
Note: To clarify, the website that I was viewing is the F-Secure community forum. I was not downloading files via the web browser during the Steam game download.
I apologize for late reply, I must have overlooked and missed your post.
The command provided (fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID) helps? From point (1), I believe it did work! How about after you start it again(fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID), the download in Steam still working?
I believe the situation (2) described is a different issue but would need to investigate further.
The command (fshoster32.exe -StopPlugin -plugin:NID) did not work. What I posted is what happened while the plugin was stopped (steps 5 and 6 of your instructions). As long as the Steam program was the active screen, the download speed was good. But, the minute I changed to a browser window and the browser was the active screen, the download speed would drop.
When the plugin is re-started (fshoster32.exe -StartPlugin -plugin:NID), the Steam download is still very slow.
Please create a Service Request by sending an e-mail to our Technical Support with the informations below:
- Your F-Secure program version. (F-Secure Internet Security 2013)
- Your subscription key.
- Include this post to the e-mail.
This topic has been closed due to inactivity. If you would like to discuss this topic further, please start a new post.
You can reference this topic in your post by adding this link:
Visit the Community
Check our Forums or How-to & FAQs for advice or answers
View User Guides
Refer to our getting started guides and product manuals
Talk to our Support and get answers to your questions