Anti-virus 2012 Windows Defender

Highlighted
Scholar

Anti-virus 2012 Windows Defender

I have Vista, Windows firewall and Anti-virus (2013). Shall I turn Windows defender off, or does it complete F-secure? Bengt
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Supporter

Re: Anti-virus 2012 Windows Defender

Hi Bengt Smiley Happy

Are you wondering if you should allow Windows Defender to run along side of, with, F-Secure for better protection?

It should be turned off, as to not cause system instability, or slow downs due to 2 scanners running at the same time, even though Windows Defender is purely a spyware scanner. To use the free on demand version of Malwarebytes would be a good option. Or, to use an online browser based scanner for a second opinion, is another option. Be sure to disable F-Secure's real time scanner (Computer Security/Settings/Virus and Spyware Scanning) during that time, as to not have both of them scanning the same accessed files.

As baroque-quest mentioned, F-Secure should have disabled that upon install, but please check to confirm it's real time protection is turned off.

Cheers Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Champion

F-Secure will turn off Defender.  No need to do it yourself.

Supporter

Hi Bengt Smiley Happy

Are you wondering if you should allow Windows Defender to run along side of, with, F-Secure for better protection?

It should be turned off, as to not cause system instability, or slow downs due to 2 scanners running at the same time, even though Windows Defender is purely a spyware scanner. To use the free on demand version of Malwarebytes would be a good option. Or, to use an online browser based scanner for a second opinion, is another option. Be sure to disable F-Secure's real time scanner (Computer Security/Settings/Virus and Spyware Scanning) during that time, as to not have both of them scanning the same accessed files.

As baroque-quest mentioned, F-Secure should have disabled that upon install, but please check to confirm it's real time protection is turned off.

Cheers Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Scholar

Hi Siramic, Thank you very much for your elaborate mail . I do appreciate that you in addition to the thorough answers gave me concrete tips what to do! You solved it all! Bengt
Supporter

You're welcome, Bengt. Thank you for posting back, and for the kind words. I'm glad you were helped Smiley Happy