Malicious email

Lordjenkd
Lordjenkd Posts: 1 New Member

Hi room I have had a malicious email saying that they have comprising photos of me and wish for me to give them money. I quit sure it’s rubbish but I want to make 100% sure thank you for you help.

I would be so grateful for any help as I’m getting more of these silly emails 

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Sorry for my reply. I'm only F-Secure user (their home solutions).

Just like some general words about your topic and my own feelings.

I have had a malicious email saying that they have comprising photos of me and wish for me to give them money. I quit sure it’s rubbish but I want to make 100% sure thank you for you help.
    I would be so grateful for any help as I’m getting more of these silly emails 

If it is only mail-letters and only to one mail-address (like a channel to receiving such letters) -> I do able to suggest something like this:

->> check does there are any reasons why it is happened? Does any of services (where you was registered with your mail) is hacked? Or did you publish your mail-address on public places?

Also does your mail-address is enough random or not?

Just like understanding 'does it targeted letters - but based on leak your mail-address' or 'generic spam to common or popular potential mail addresses'. Or it is direct letter to you.

->> then it is possible to check content of letters (spam): words, sentences or something like this.

Usually, it can be too popular for spam letters and re-used by them. So, it is a trigger for just random and spam rogue letters. If someone with installed malware (where you added to mail-contact-list) and someone's system is src of such 'activities'; like tries to expand malicious software to other systems.

->>  and I think that common advice is something like 'to contact related authorities people'. Most likely such letters are illegal with most of situations (for except some tricks with wording of letter's content).

Otherwise you always do able to ask for some proof from such malicious mail letters; but(!!) -- your response is maybe GOAL of such letter; -- proof can be a malicious software or related stuff.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.