chrome extensions crash

Scholar

Re: chrome extensions crash

Same Here,

- Today got againt chrome crash (grey screen)

- Ran chrome with --no-sandbox (no crash)

- Ran again without --no-sandbox argument (still crashing)

- Ran chrome again with --no-sandbox, got to setting -> information, got it update itself

- Ran chrome againt without --no-sandbox argument

- voilà it's working!

Aspirant

Does anyone know if there is a known good way to:

1) not have this happen when setting up a new or wiped computer, i.e. is this 100% fixed in this "blank slate" scenario with the changes already made... or do you have to install F-Secure PSB Workstation and Chrome in a certain order etc?

2) stop this from happening for users that experience this regularly (the ones who have to reinstall Chrome all the time), i.e. can you uninstall both apps and reinstall in a certain way/order that will stop Chrome from dying?

Thank you!

Superuser

Hello,

Please note that a new F-Secure web knowledge base article has been published concerning this topic:

https://community.f-secure.com/t5/Known-Issues-in/F-Secure-Browser-plugin-causing/td-p/95250

"F-Secure Browser plugin causing Google Chrome to crash in our corporate products"

Best Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

Aspirant

We have the plugin disabled and still see this.  It's also disabled in the policy.  These are on existing installs, though.  not sure about completely clean installs.  The machines we're imaging now aren't being used as we're on summer break at school.    I believe I even uninstalled the plugin on my machine, but will have to check. 

Reinstalling Chrome fixes it temporarily, but it's happened 5 times in 2 months on my machine.

Using Business Premium.

Novice

While the Hotfix is in testing, is there a way for us to centrally disable/remove the Chrome plugin/extension via Profiles instead of doing it on all the machines or instructing the not so tech-savvy users with the removal?

Thanks.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello Cnet_16,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to disable the Chrome extension from the portal. It could be done only from browser.

Actually Browsing Protection extension is not a victim. According to our latest findings periodical crashes appear due to interoperability issues between F-Secure Internet Shield and Chrome Sandbox feature.

Best regards,

Vad

Aspirant

I agree with Vad.

Disabling Browsing Protection was of course one of the first things I tried back in December and it doesn't help at all. This issue thread is sort of badly-named because the issue stops Chrome from loading any content whatsoever, including its built-in admin web pages like chrome://settings/ and so on.

You don't always even get a this-or-that extension has crashed message. At one time you'd often see that type of message.

Tell those affected to keep the Chrome installer handy. It takes 30 seconds to reinstall it if you don't have to go looking for it. I guess that using the download manager will ensure they always get the latest Chrome at that point as opposed to using a possibly-stale offline installer. Here is the 64-bit install manager that fetches the installer with the "don't send usage stats to Google option"

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/thankyou.html?platform=win64

Superuser

Hello Vad,

> periodical crashes appear due to interoperability issues between F-Secure Internet Shield and Chrome Sandbox feature

Can we assume this problem means the Internet Shield (Distributed Firewall) module will be removed from the FSAV corporate and SMB product lines, just like it was dropped from the FSIS home user and SOHO product?

Yours Sincerely: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello Tamas,

We already have a Firewall hotfix for released products. BTW, everybody can get it from support for checking. We will be happy to get as much feedback as possible.

So, this issue will not influence on the presence of Firewall in future releases.

Best regards,

Vad

Aspirant

What do we reference for the fix?  Would this thread work?  I also have a ticket in currently, but haven't received a response in about a week.  Should I just respond to that?