PSB Server security - Turn off Software update

Scholar

PSB Server security - Turn off Software update

Hi,

Will the software update and inventory part of Server Security in PSB run even if I don't use it ?

If so can I disable it?

I can't use it because it takes to much memory and CPU on my virtual machines.

70-90% CPU and 1GB memory for 15 minutes is way to much when trying to preserve resources.

any plans to make it more slim and efficient on the machines resources.

EDIT: Title

7 REPLIES 7
Superuser

Betreff: PSB Server security - Turn off Software update

For virtual evironments Id rather recommend the Business Suite and SRS but PSB.
You can schedule the scan (it will then only happen after boot and once a day) or completely disable it (not a good idea).

Matthias
----------
perComp is a Platinum Partner of F-Secure since 1994. Any advice or help given by me in this forum is voluntarily and to my best knowledge based on working with the products since 1997. Direct contact for customers please check our homepage http://www.percomp.de

Scholar

I have found that now in the profile, To schedule scans.

Is there a way to schedule installs ?

Also can I somehow see if a server needs to be restarted after software is installed?

Superuser

1) disable scheduled scans (waste of ressources)
2) SWUP installs can be scheduled from policy
3) my best guess: Registry - pending updates
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc164360(v=exchg.80).aspx

Matthias
----------
perComp is a Platinum Partner of F-Secure since 1994. Any advice or help given by me in this forum is voluntarily and to my best knowledge based on working with the products since 1997. Direct contact for customers please check our homepage http://www.percomp.de

Highlighted
Scholar

Thanks for yout suggestions.

Have you seen this also with the software updater agent taking 90-100% cpu and using 500MB-1GB memory for 15 minutes?

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello Fredrik_N,

Using 500Mb-1Gb is normal for scanning process. 90% of CPU, well, could be. 15 minutes for scanning sounds a bit long. In our test virtual machines scanning takes near 1 minute.

BTW, restart requirement is visible in PSB SS Web User interface on Software Updater tab.

Best regards,

Vad

Scholar

on a server the antivirus /malware protection is needed to be a low cpu operation and preferable not spike memory usage. otherwise this software it self will comprimise the stability and responseness of the server. 

with a server that uses 3-4GB ram at normal operation f-secure will increase the need for this server by 25-30% 

also making it unresponsive even for 1 minute how can that be acceptable as normal?

F-Secure
F-Secure

As far as I remember, only one CPU is occupied during scanning. So, if you have, for example, 4 on your server, it should not be that critical.

Best regards,

Vad