How to do a Silent install for PSB 12.01?

Aspirant

How to do a Silent install for PSB 12.01?

So Im trying to deploy PSB 12.01 silently in a Config Manager Task Sequence but the installer ends with exit code 1. It times out waiting for some process to end.

Trying the iinstallation "manually" through cmd with silent switch and there are no real clues, logbook says something about "Software Protection Service has stopped"  and  "VVS service timeout due to inactivity".

What are the correct switches for this version to do a silent install that ends with success code 0?

Its not the first time im looking for information like this I have to say that F-secure is really bad at documenting this kind of information.

18 REPLIES 18
Supporter

Re: How to do a Silent install for PSB 12.01?

Hi!

To remote installation you will need check some items:

• Rights for Installation: The installation account must have sufficient rights (must be a local administrator or domain);
  • Enable the Remote Registry service on the clients (To enable the Remote Registry service go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services -> Remote Registry)
    To verify that the remote registry on a machine is activated on remote machines, open Regedit.
    In regedit, go to File -> Connect Network Registry
    Enter the name of the remote machine. If you still do not see the remote registry is because the machine is locked the Remote Registry option in your service. You need to enable it.
  • Try to access the admin $ share drive on the end-user
  • Windows Firewall must be disabled in service to the client, to avoid blocking network traffic.
  • Policy Manager and workstation must be on the same network.
  • Check the following protocols in stations are enabled:
    RPC (TCP 135)
    NetBIOS (137-139) and
    SMB (TCP port 445) on your firewall
  • On the client, go to the Control Panel-> Administrative Tools> Local Security policies> Policies- Local> Security Options - Network Access: Sharing and security model for local accounts, check the configuration.

pms_push.JPG

To SILENT installation, dont forget uncheck the Display progress indicator to end-users during the remote installation.

Best Regards,

Roberto Chu

Aspirant

I dont have a Policy Manager for Protection For Business. I have the F-secure PSB Portal, the only thing I can do is to download the package from there.

I can deploy version 10.0 and 10.50 silently. But 12.01 doesnt work. 

Supporter

Ops, sorry for this wrong answer.

Are you using this tool for PSB remote install?

http://download.sp.f-secure.com/protection_service/remote-installation-tool-1.00.17617-win32-hotfix1...

Its important the check list where I said in the last post is working in the end-user such as:

• Registry remote service is working;
  • RPC/NetBios/ SMB ports is avaible;
  • Another instructions where already said the last post.

Another solution is install a Policy Manager Server/Console in a machine and import the .JAR to this server and do the remote install by Policy Manager. So this way, you will proceed as Policy Manager normal install (so just use the previous post the check list install).

http://download.sp.f-secure.com//protection_service/fspsbwks-12.01.283_PSB1.jar

Best Regards,

Roberto Chu

Aspirant

No we are deploying Windows 7 and F-secure with Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager and the F-secure installation should be done unattended together with the OS installation in the Task Sequence. We should not be forced to use a separate tool for this.

Aspirant

Looks like I finally cracked this **bleep**. Smiley Happy

• On CM Application - Run installation as 32-bit process on 64-bit clients 
  • In CM Task Sequence choose Continue on Error
  • Put a Restart Computer-step right after the install-step

Again...

We should not have to deal with these kinds of problems, this is a workaround. It is not the first time we encounter these problems with your packages. It is not much to ask for a package that can be installed silently without errors.

Scholar

I'm also having problems when trying to deploy FSCS 12.0 from an exported MSI file via policy manager. We are deploy using Specops software, but that should't matter as all MSI are supposed to do the same thing. Is there any documentation on parameters available for your MSI you get exported from Policy Manager ?

For me, the installation goes well in the meaning of error code, but there is only a post created in Windows Remove/add program saying FSCS is installed. But I never see FSCS starting on the client computer, not even after several reboots. You should be able to provide us with an adminguide on deploy F-Secure products, like the one for Policy Manager that's out there.

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello compfreak,

In the upcoming CS 12.10 release we make significant improvements for MSI installation scenarios.

CS 12.10 RTM is planned for mid of June. CS 12.10 Admin guide will contain the information about supported MSI installation scenarios, options, etc...

Currently CS 12.10 Beta3 is available with MSI related changes in place, and you can try it already now.

Best regards,

Vad

Aspirant

Do F-secure not support a silent install of PSB?

F-Secure
F-Secure

Hello Nizzon,

If we are talking about installation from exe package, here is the standard example of command line which provides silent installation and returns 0:

fspsbwks-12.01.283_PSB1.exe /SILENT /VARS : DISABLE_REBOOT=true /LANG:ENG /K:XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Best regards,

Vad