Show information to new members (to avoid confusion)

Superuser

Re: Show information to new members (to avoid confusion)

I've been here over 2 years, and only last week realised that I could unmark 'solutions' marked in error!  red-face.gif  It's very easy to do to, with the buttons being close together.

One other thing that I keep banging on about is the annoyance of having to log in each time one wants to make a post.  On every other forum I know of, there is a 'login' cookie, which keeps the user logged in (by their choice).  Even the username and password is not able to be remembered by the browser here, so it's a double PITA, especially when I want to just make a quick post via my phone, which I use a lot during the day.  If I had my way, this is the first thing that would be changed here.  We need to make it easy for users to use the forum, and I'm sure there must be a few who would use the forum more if it wasn't such a faff to get into. 

Highlighted
Former F-Secure Employee

Hi Simon,

I'm happy to hear you've found the "not the solution" option!

notthesolution.PNG

The login issue is a known case, which we're looking into again these days.

To make the login process easier though, provided that you have a Facebook account,  you can already connect it to your F-Secure Community one.
You can do it by going to My Settings -->Social Connect and select "Connect to Your Facebook Account"

socialconnect.PNG

Once that's done, you can simply select "Connect with Facebook" when you want to login, and you're in!

From a mobile, you'll need to select a "Full" version first to see the Facebook connect option.

connectwithfacebook.PNG

Regards,
Ania
F-Secure Community Service Owner

Twitter: @aniaciuba
--------------------------------
Has somebody helped you? Give Kudos as a way to say "thanks!"
Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
Superuser

Hi Ania,

I do have a Facebook account, but I don't use it very much as I find it tends to be very invasive, and as soon as you use it you start getting notifications for this, that, and everything else, which they don't make easy to turn off. I'd certainly rather not be using FB just to make logging in here easier. The forum should be easily accessible in it's own right, in my opinion, just like any others. :)
Advocate

To get back to my last thought before the login discussion took over Smiley Wink

It makes more sense if only the topic starter(and FS employees) can decide what the solution is. But currently as the topic allows new replies after it has been solved, then it wouldn't work with allowing only the topic starter. As it is now you can have one topic starter and multiple "re-starters". 

Is it just me who thinks that there should be a different solution than it is currently?

Superuser

Another problem I see with limiting it to topic starters is that, quite often, particularly with new members, they post their question, get their answer, but you never actually hear from them again.  This would put the onus on forum  / FS staff to go round marking topics as solved, or the topics would remain 'open'.  I don't think there's a perfect solution to this.  I guess auto-locking 'solved' topics, would stop them being replied to, but would also prevent 'better' solutions from being added later on, so it's a bit of a catch 22.

F-Secure

All good points, NikK and Simon.  Revamping the "accepted solutions"/closing threads policies is on our immediate backlog now, thanks to your observations/debates Smiley Very Happy

// Chrissy

Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using the "Accept as Solution" button to let others know.
Advocate

Good to hear! I think the current solution is not optimal, but I also agree with Simon that locking after first accepted solution is not good. So I started looking at how other companies that also uses Lithium solves this problem, and Skype seems to have a great solution that Shows all accepted solutions instead of only the first:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Problems-with-Signing-Into-Skype-Message-quot-S...

F-Secure

Very cool, NikK, I like that!  Definitely a option to consider implementing.

Advocate

Some additional thoughts:

Users(mostly first time users) have a tendency to post in old solved threads, even about completely different problems. This gets very confusing and really difficult to follow the thread history. Especially because the subject for these posts doesn't reflect the problems at all in some cases.

If old solved threads aren't closed for adding new posts, I think the important thing here is to instruct users to first:

1. Find the appropriate community category

2. Click "New Message"

3. Describe the problem shortly in the Subject field

Superuser

I find this a curious community.  I don't think I've come across another forum which has quite so many first time posters who often don't even bother to read the post above their own, which would have given them their answer!  How many more times are we going to have to point mobile users to the sticky to recover their security codes, for example?  I don't know how much clearer things can be, but it does seem that new members often totally ignore the rest of the forum, and could easily find the information for themselves, much more quickly than waiting for someone to answer their post, simply to point them at a link.

That said, it would be dull if everyone just read what's here and didn't post!  Smiley Wink