Xfence rules

Need help on creating rules, especially related to Finder.  Do you have any documentation on rule creation.  My specific interest is in allowing any Finder accesses, so as not to have endless popups.

Comments

• pajp
    pajp Posts: 107 F-Secure Employee

If you haven't already, please read the User Guide, available from the Help menu in the Rules editor, available by clicking "Rules…" in the XFENCE menubar menu. It provides userful general guidance on how the Rules Editor works.

But to answer your specific question, if you want to allow Finder to do anything, chose "New Rule" from the Rules Editor toolbar, and select the following:

Policy: Allow

Application: /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder

File path: any

Path Type: Direct Path

Team ID: APPLE_PF_BINARY

Select all the checkboxes on the left-hand side - or a subset of them, if you only wish to grant Finder some specific abilities. Personally I find allowing read-only access to all files for Finder is a decent usabiliy compromise, to prevent an application from e.g. scripting Finder to delete files against my will.

Rasmus Sten

F-Secure Technology, Mac Team

• stevebythebay
    stevebythebay Posts: 2 New Member

Thanks.  I'll go ahead and review the help.  One thing in your reply: I believe the correct app (based on editing existing Finder rules) should be "/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder"

Wondering if in your editing a portion of the path got clipped.

• pajp
    pajp Posts: 107 F-Secure Employee

You are absolutely correct! Thanks for being so attentative and sorry for my sloppy posting. I tested my own instructions but my testing methodology was ... flawed. Smiley Happy

I edited my post above with updated instructions. Note that I also changed the type from "Prefix" to "Direct Path" and changed the path to "any". The net effect should be the same, it is just a more explicit expression to create a rule for any file, and the way XFENCE itself creates "any file" rules.

Rasmus Sten

F-Secure Technology, Mac Team

This discussion has been closed.