XFENCE macOS wrongly claiming that a program is trying to access a user's webcam

I am the author of LaunchControl, a GUI for the macOS launchd(8) facility.

http://www.soma-zone.com/LaunchControl/

Recently a user of LaunchControl contacted me because XFENCE alerted him that LaunchControl was trying to access his webcam:

User Screenshot

As the author of this application I can assure you that this is not the case. Naturally I am interested in sorting this issue out because it does not exactly inspire confidence in my product. So what makes XFENCE think that a program is trying to access the webcam? I have already opened a support case (#xxxxx) but I was asked to open a  thread in this forum.

Thank you very much for your time!

EDIT: Removed Case information

Comments

• XenoPhage
    XenoPhage Posts: 31 Contributor

Honestly, it looks like something that uses launchd is trying to access the VDC Assistant, which apparently has something to do with FaceTime and/or Photo Booth.  Both of these use the webcam, so perhaps they have something that initiates the camera on startup?

• soma-zone
    soma-zone Posts: 2 New Member

XenoPhage, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

If what you say is true then XFENCE is showing a false positive. It is explicitly flagging LaunchControl as requesting webcam support. I'd like to know how to report this bug properly. f-secure support sent me here. Is this their way of dealing with prolem reports?

This discussion has been closed.