XFENCE dead?

Hi Fsecure,

I had applied for the beta program for Xfence weeks ago and till know I havent got any feedback. 

Is the Xfence project dead?

Comments

• Cale
    Cale Posts: 288 F-Secure Product Manager

Hi,

It's not dead, just breathing very slowly. We just accepted the last batch of users to this program. We are not going to accept any more users after this, as we are deciding the fate of this program this spring based on the feedback we receive.

-Cale

• DevOpsAdmin
    DevOpsAdmin Posts: 18 Observer

That's rather disappointing to hear considering F-Secure promised not to kill the original Little Flocker when they bought it and rebranded it as XFENCE. We've all been very patient waiting for our favorite and most powerful security tool to finally come out of beta despite the fact that we will probably have to buy it again. To hear that it's "fate" is now being decided does not bode well for us, and I personally would not trust F-Secure if the first product experience I have with them is as a beta user receiving broken promises.

• DevOpsAdmin
    Hey Cale

Any word on X-Fence?

Thanks
  • pingu
    pingu Posts: 2 New Member

This. Why did f-secure buy Little Flocker just to kill it off? 

Very disappointing.

• Cale

Hi,

XFENCE is not going to die. We are working on a new version which is expected to be released to beta later this year.

-Cale

• DevOpsAdmin

That's great to hear! Will it be part of the same beta program or a different one? I'm looking forward to testing it out ASAP!

• _vivami
    _vivami Posts: 1 New Member

That's really great news! Looking foward to trying it out!

• Cale

Hello,

As some of you may have already noticed, we have released our first version of SAFE MAC beta product with a fully integrated XFENCE. This is the place where XFENCE will continue to grow, so if you want to be part of it's continuous development, subscribe to the SAFE beta program and try it out.

We did some extra work to support your existing XFENCE rule sets that you can import to the SAFE MAC, but please uninstall the standalone XFENCE before you install the SAFE MAC product. Those two cannot coexist in the same device.

Happy holidays,

Cale

• DevOpsAdmin

Hello Cale,

Do you have a direct link to sign up for the SAFE MAC beta? What additional functionality does SAFE MAC have over just XFENCE? Does it phone home at all? If so is there a way to disable that? Can we just use the XFENCE portion of it?

Thanks

• Cale

Hi,

When you have (created) beta.f-secure.com account, you see project 'opportunities' in your home page. Join the 'fs protection' project, which is our SAFE beta program.

SAFE is a multiplatform internet security product against harmful files and websites. You could turn off the virus protection and browsing protection features, and run only the XFENCE but why would you?

-Cale

• DevOpsAdmin

Primarily the only feature I wanted was what Little Flocker (now XFENCE) as I am comfortable handling other security myself using other tools at the network level.

This discussion has been closed.