What happened to ULAV?

23 Posts: 31 Explorer

Was is discontinued?

Comments

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

Hello  ! Ultralight engine is now the core of FS AV, ulav not intended to become a GP AV.

Hi! What GP AV means?

I think it's clear that I'm asking if htere's a point to use ULAV or not.

Installed ULAV. What I see:

F-Secure Aquarius udate 20.06.2017

F-Secure Virgo update 20.06.2017

Hydra update 20.06.2017

Deepguard DB update 19.06.2017

F-Secure Ultraligh Core update 30.05.2017

and several more components updated. So IMHO it's not abandoned. Maybe some developer or mod can answer.

Thanks for nothing...

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

I'm also just F-Secure user (not an official F-Secure staff or "mod who can answer");

So it will be only my own suggestions/feelings... and if you generally want to receive only an official response - my reply can be not useful there (quite likely 'receiving" official response should take some more time... maybe tomorrow as most-brief option; but maybe later);

--> What certain ask there?

Since... as you noted... it still possible to install and it receives updates. Also there some users who still used it (I did this with some systems; also F-Secure community user -> martink use and still place feedback about F-Secure ULAV);

Also  there missing any topics/replies/notifications about "discontinued" and all latest official replies was generally about "some potential improve-steps for F-Secure ULAV";

After your latest ask under community (and before this current ask) -> F-Secure ULAV with some cool changes and improve-things (this is included 'offline' main engine as option - if you use it - Ultralight generally goes be just as small additional layer, but not as main large layer; Tweaks and ticks for certain ULAV abilities and improves for some of them as scanning/browsing protection features).

Under beta-portal -> my own latest 'bug'-report was nine months ago. After this there was thirty four reports by other users. 

So it's not discontinued in full meanings, but with some limitation based on next point.

--> F-Secure ULAV is generally about F-Secure Ultralight-'technology';

As it already noted under this topic - "Ultralight"-design was integrated with FS Protection (F-Secure SAFE beta/technology preview) and basically  it can be with stable F-Secure SAFE already. At least, for Windows desktops.

Basically "Ultralight" usually described as AV-engine or certain cloud-based core;

Firstly it was partly added to mobile solutions, than to home Windows desktops.. and I able to think that will be added to business solutions.

So, current FS Protection for Windows is pretty "F-Secure ULAV" + another UI and with common Browsing Protection module (where available some additional features compare to F-Secure Ultralight AV);

Since 'modules/cores/engines' work for most of F-Secure solutions -> it will be up-to-dated;

But I think that most fresh features over-the-Ultralight will be with current stable solutions/FS Protection, than with F-Secure ULAV (which not clear for me about next design - even there possible some of meanings);

I feel there next points:

- you able to use while it work (and if it can be valid solution for your system);

- there indeed required some official responses and clarifications (at least, it will be interesting to read);

- you able to try use FS Protection (or so) - since Ultralight-technology (engine/core/design) added to this F-Secure solution (and it was main reason of F-Secure ULAV as it was noted by official responses);

- if you means something about "does bug-reports will be checked" - I not sure... with my experience - not all of my reports was with responses - but generally two or three of them was with response and fix-action. And it was one of most critical reports (while my other reports indeed can be ignored partly); So, at least, previously reports was monitored (not sure about current days);

Sorry for my reply. Good if there will be official response.

But since there community and there can be expected talk between users (also because you ask some points, which we able to discuss while there not comes any official answers);

Thanks! Smiley Sad

• yeoldfart
    GP = general public
    AV = Anti Virus
  • yeoldfart
    you are right, it's not abandoned, stil used as training and testing ground for evolutions which would or would no be added to FSP
  • yeoldfart

There's a point using it if you are curiuous and willing to participate in a project sharing your experience with others, you do have to accept the risk of some uninstability.

@yeoldfart wrote:

Sorry for my reply. Good if there will be official response.

Sorry? Lol. Thank you for wasting your time for me :)

ULAV also has a local scanning engine (not dependent to internet connectivity), banking protection...etc. It only misses options for user control, but that's ok since it's free. I really hope it won't be abandoned.

• Simon
    Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

@23 wrote:

Thanks for nothing...

With respect, please bear in mind we are all volunteers here, and are not paid staff.  There is no need for rudeness if you don't immediately get the answer you want. 

@Simon wrote:

@23 wrote:

Thanks for nothing...

With respect, please bear in mind we are all volunteers here, and are not paid staff.  There is no need for rudeness if you don't immediately get the answer you want. 

With respect, use your common sense. It wasn't directed at you or other forum users. I asked for a response from the staff.

• Laksh
    Laksh Posts: 4,224 Former F-Secure Employee

Hi 23,

This Community is a place for discussion regarding our products. We have our fellow members and also the F-Secure team to check on these posts. F-Secure team do regularly check and respond to the posts, not always within hours of every request. In the meantime, we have our engaging members who replies or provides feedbacks regarding your issue.

We do direct your queries as and when necessary to the right team. I have highlighted your post to get more information on this.

I gave up. Thanks anyway.

• yeoldfart

@ 23

I never wrote "sorry for my reply..." as you mention. Please be more aware and attentive before posting ! 

• Parham
    Parham Posts: 103 Enthusiast

Hi

dear @Laksh  so you supposed to track down this matter

do you have any update on this from developers for us? Smiley Wink

Thanks!

Obviously abandoned. Smiley Sad
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

@23 wrote:
    Obviously abandoned. Smiley Sad

Hello,

If your reply is not based on 'inactivity' under this topic (only) -> I able to place next information.

Dated to 15.08.2017 (more than two months how) -> I received response to my feedback.

Kind of quote (with remarks):

sorry for our late response due to vacation season.
    F-Secure ULAV is still active, and we're delivering important fixes as frequent as possible.

Not clear about full points of view.. and I able to feel that F-Secure ULAV still on-going. :)

But maybe such answer can be with meanings that 'fixes' (but not a fresh features and tweaks). Smiley Sad

Also I did not use F-Secure ULAV during this timeframe.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.