cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall XFence from macOS

Highlighted

Re: Uninstall XFence from macOS

If you really would have a problem, it wouldn't be so hard to google 2 seconds to find out how to open terminal in recovery.
So if it isn't even worth your time to open google then I wouldn't post in this forum, because you're then just wasting other peoples time.

Ps:
In the menubar right when you boot to recovery, there is a tab called utilities

Aspirant

Thank you. Your solution worked for me.  A reply without sarcasm would have been sufficient.

Community Manager

Hello Everyone,

Just to keep you all posted, I have unmarked the old post (which was marked as solution) and marked the correct solution now.

Has somebody helped you? Say thanks by giving likes. Has your issue been solved? Mark the post using "Accept As Solution" button to let others know.
Novice

There is a bash script to uninstall XFence:

sudo /Library/XFENCE/uninstall.sh

Seems to delete everything - I had already followed the instructions above to delete most files before I found the script in /Library/XFENCE

Aspirant

Did you try the uninstaller?

/Library/XFENCE/uninstall.sh

Just disable XFENCE via the menu bar option first, run that script, and poof.  Gone.

Aspirant

Wow.. i totally missed that there were two pages to this post and this was already pointed out. Apologies for the noise.
Novice

Uninstall should not be the only option. The bug, which I was told is a design feature, is that "disable"is not persistent; that is, when you reboot it automatically reeables itself. So, if you want to set up a new Mac using Disk Target Mode you are prevented from doing the transfer because XFence has reeabled itself. Or, as others suggested, you find that the product doesn't function well enough, you should beable to persistently disable the product. This design feature is a DESIGN BUG!

I have found a tested and working solution for those, who cannot remove XFENCE.kext from /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/ - even via Single User mode:

Delete the actual kext from /Library/Extensions/ first, then run "KextWizard" (downloadable at https://mac.softpedia.com/get/Utilities/Kext-Wizard.shtml) and enable both checkmarks under "System/Library/Extension, i.e. "Repair permission" and Rebuild cache" - then click "Execute".

This removes the stubborn XFENCE.kext from the cache (that /Library/StagedExtensions/Library/Extensions/ actually is) and keeps it from being activated over and over again.