ULAV icon not in systray

I have ULAV installed on Win 10  VMWare virtual machine. Repeatedly the ULAV icon is not visible in the systray.

1809.JPG

That is in WIndows 10 64 bit 1809

As that icon is the only place to launch the UI of ULAV that is not very convenient.

I do not see that in the task manager, but I do see it in the installed programs.

If I start uninstall I see a message that I should set up vierus protection.

In Windows 10 32 bit 1803 that happens less frequently and maybe usually after a failed Windows update.

Does ULAv support Windows 10 1809?

Can I use the VM and assume ULAV is working even if the icon is not in the systray?

Comments

• Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Hello,

Does ULAv support Windows 10 1809?
    Can I use the VM and assume ULAV is working even if the icon is not in the systray?

I think that good to check next things:

-> probably F-Secure ULAV tray-picture is triggered by autorun key.

Does Task Manager (or any other software, for example, CCLeaner and its functionality to check startup items) with entry for F-Secure ULAV UI under Startup tab?

-> when tray picture is not visible - does it possible to perform scan? Or rightclick context menu is also not about F-Secure ULAV strings (ability to scan)? If so - maybe it is crash? And F-Secure ULAV is disabled at all.

Good to check it with clean ULAV installation.

Thanks!

• martink
    martink Posts: 427 Influencer

Thanks Ukko

It is in start up items and there are items in the right click menu.

Start_up_and_right_click.JPG

That suggests the is launched and usable except for the icon in the systray and the GUI opening from there.

• Ukko

Hello,

Maybe 'ULAV'-tray logo is disabled under Windows 10 settings.

Possible to check it with next steps (sorry for wording):

-> Windows 10 all settings;

-> "Personalization"-menu;

-> "Task bar"-tab;

-> Scroll content to ability to configure 'task bar logos';

there should be list with items and "On/Off"-options for visible status as tray-picture.

I'm not sure if F-Secure ULAV should be listed there (I do not use it currently) - I checked with FS Protection and FS Protection is listed.

What if F-Secure ULAV is listed with your system but with "OFF"-state?

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks Ukko

ULAV is not there to choose for taskbar

Icons_taskbar.JPG

It is not there to be chosen for Systray either

Icons_systray.JPG

However, it is there for the startup items

Startup_apps.JPG

And today it is appearing in the Systray

Systray_with_ULAV.jpg

• Ukko
    And today it is appearing in the Systray

However, it is there for the startup items

Sounds that this Startup page is also about 'view' which should be visible under Task Manager's startup items.

If it was ON with your first visit -> maybe there are some troubles with launching ULAV UI startup task (with certain situations). Maybe Windows Journal?! (Even Viewer?! / Events and Errors Message Center?!) with some information about it (?!);

Also, if possible to repeat it occasionally -> maybe good to create report to beta-channel.

I did not remember about my experience with Windows 10 1809 / F-Secure ULAV and tray-logo picture (but I do remember that I stop to use it there based on some unexpected situations and its impact).

Thanks!

• martink

Thanks Ukko

If it was ON with your first visit -> maybe there are some troubles with launching ULAV UI startup task (with certain situations). Maybe Windows Journal?! (Even Viewer?! / Events and Errors Message Center?!) with some information about it (?!);

That is what I am saying. I can have a look at the events the next time it happens.

Rebooted the VM and it is still in systray.

When making the fisrt post I did not looka that the start up items in Task manager, but now ULAV is there.

No major problems using 1809, but I've got  KB4464330 installed.

I'll get back if it reoccurs.

• martink

Now the icon is disappearing in a few minutes everytime I launch that particular installation.
    I've reported that as a bug. Wait and see.

• martink

Some time ago I got the message that this has been passed to development.

(ULAV is not developed tha actively andwith high priority)

• martink

The other day stumbled on a Windows setting which tells ULAV is on even if it is not in the system tray.ulav_active.jpg

This discussion has been closed.