ULAV fresh news

Superuser

ULAV fresh news

this is just to put a milestone for any kind of news, back to FS beta in the meantime.

80 REPLIES 80
Supporter

Re: ULAV fresh news

There is for a long time no information about changes, we do not know if there are any changes in the ULAV, the subject died away, it is a really well heralding program, but little for them of information

Superuser

I found ULAV a little bit too stripped back for me, and wasn't all that keen on the full screen GUI, so I've gone back to FS Protection until there's some more news.
Scholar

I've just been accepted to beta test this, and to be honest the UI is a bit of an irritation for me.  Specifically:

• I find not being able to resize the UI awkward
  • The screen is difficult to read being opaque (especially when the screen is busy behind the UI)
  • The orange "Click to unload product" is practically invisible on my monitor - didn't realise I'd switched the product off at one point.
  • The scrolling "help" is distracting.
  • Configurabiliity wise, it's far too cut back.

It's almost as though the focus has been on trying to be "cool" rather than usability.  I'll stick with it on my Virtual Win 10 for now; I'm interested to see where it goes.

Superuser

i'm making a pause till next usability evolution, back to FS Protection in the meantime.

F-Secure

Hi all,

I'm considering pushing through a few small UI changes that should help to alleviate most of the concerns I've been seeing from various forums. The changes I'm proposing are as follows:

- the UI will be windowed instead of full-screen

- the UI will have a non-transparent black background

- the floating text will be removed

Please let me know what you think of these proposals and if there are any other suggestions you might make in order to improve the user experience of this product.

Thanks!

Superuser

Hi Andy,

I think all of those proposals would be good. I would also suggest, as I've mentioned before, a visible Banking Protection feature, as I feel that is essential in this day and age.
Scholar

Hi Andy - would agree that those would help with usability.

Simon - <devils advocate> Seeing as this is Ultra Light Anti-Virus, doesn't an online banking protection step into the realms of an internet security product? </devils advocate> 

Superuser

That's a fair argument, but in my opinion, with the amount of online fraud going on these days, banking protection is an essential tool with any security product. ULAV doesn't have anti spam, parental controls or a firewall, so I still think it's a few steps away from dipping a toe in the 'Internet Security' waters. :)
Superuser

@Andy
Totally ok with first one, for the 2nd I prefer a semi transparent ui, for the 3rd: no opinion.

One suggestion for the UI the two "circles" for starting a new scan or stopping prtotection  are misleading, you should use red for stopping and green for scanning, this on could trun to orange when activated.