ULAV fresh news

F-Secure

Re: ULAV fresh news

With regards to the issue you're seeing with Firefox, it seems that, since we're now cloud scanning javascript files, delays in those scans due to slow network connections could be causing some problems. I recommend excluding the mozilla profiles directory from being scanned and see how it behaves after that:

%APPDATA%\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES

We aren't virtualizing applications in ULSDK.

With regards to the problem you're seeing with installing/reinstalling applications, can you explain in a little more detail what you're doing there? We'd be interested in hearing what software you're installing and reinstalling and how long you wait between the first install and subsequent reinstalls.

If you install an application and then uninstall-reinstall the application within about 15 minutes, it's possible that the verdicts from your initial scans haven't arrived at our backends, which is why the files are being re-sent to the cloud for scanning.

If you're our only customer using a specific application (and it is unsigned), your machine will end up occasionally re-sending files to the cloud for scanning in order to refresh verdicts. Currently, since this is beta, we don't have a lot of users on this service. With more users, the likelyhood of being the only customer scanning a specific piece of software should be dramatically lower.

Highlighted

My internet connection is actually pretty fast. Yes, that worked, but isn't it a hole in security? What if I install infected add-on and it's not scanned?

edit: Hmm, before I did this there was only one "Roaming" folder. Now there are TWO. See screenshot. What happened?

screenshot

It doesn't matter which one I click on, content is the same. If that's not virtualization, I don't know what it is.

F-Secure

Excluding the Mozilla profile directory could open up a security hole. By excluding the directory, we were trying to see if it fixed the problem you were having, and allow us to pinpoint where we might need to make a fix in the product. If you are not actively installing new addons, setting this exclusion will allow you to use Firefox normally in the meantime.

Did excluding the directory allow Firefox to work correctly and not reset settings between launches?

Yes, FF works fine now.

Supporter

Often mention programs for playing music or movies such AIMP on winamp, ALLPlayer on Bestplayer, but after some time I return to them. Totall uninstall program is scanned, not only on the first installation but every time I start it up, the same thing happens with the browser Vivaldi. Playing games on steam, I need to add this game to exceptions to disable it from the continuous scanning. sorry for my english but it is not my language, I hope you understand that something

offtopic/
@klima89, you should try musicbee. This is the best music player I've ever used.
/offtopic

Supporter

I have not heard of him ever, I'm sure it will installSmiley Happy lol edit

Thank God for Google translate. Lol.
F-Secure

@klima89 

If you could perform some of these installs/uninstalls/reinstalls and app launches and then send us an fsdiag (download, extract and run the tool at ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/support/tools/fsdiag/fsdiag.zip and send us the resulting file) to ultralight-feedback@f-secure.com, we can take a look at what's going on.

Thanks!

Supporter

Sure.