TP113 - OMG! Awful colour scheme!

Simon
Simon Posts: 2,667 Superuser

The new TP113 has just installed perfectly on my machine, but I REALLY dislike the new colour scheme.  

The blue background is just TOO blue, and looks like my 5 year old nephew's bedroom wall colour!

Further, the black icon for the Desktop is invisible on a dark desktop wallpaper, and the tray icon is barely visible.  I realise that these would show better on a lighter background, but why should I change my wallpaper because of one icon?  Both of these need to be changed back to the 'old' blue, in my opinion, or I think there is going to be a lot of resentment with this.  I've never seen another product with an entirely black icon.  It actually looks more like a virus than protection from one!  Personally, if I were a regular retail purchaser, I would not use this product with this colour scheme.

What do you guys think?  Better or worse than TP111/112?

Desktop-Icon.png

Tray.png

Comments

• I really like the current, used in the stable IS, icon.

• sapiens
    sapiens Posts: 14 New Member

I believe that the old elegant blue would be better than the new light blue. Instead, I like the current geometry of the "Antivirus" window.

On the dektop background of Windows 8.1 the black logo does not look so bad. However I prefer the classic version.

ISTP 113 icon.jpg

Hi

We will fix the desktop icon so that it's visible also on black desktop background. Other colors are unlikely to change.

(F-Secure R&D)

F-Secure R&D, Desktop products

• Simon

Hi Ville,

Sorry to be quite so critical, as I'm sure someone put a lot of hard work into it.  It's just that, for some reason, that 'Sky Blue' just doesn't seem to fit the product, and, in my opinion, make it look 'low budget'.  It's great that you're fixing the desktop icon, but may I suggest something like this for the main interface?

GUI.png

• sapiens

I agree, Simon

In my opinion, the suitable background for Antivirus window is the classic F-Secure blue. Instead of the current light blue.

Something like:

culoare F-Secure.jpg

• Simon
    I'm guessing they want to try something a bit different, so that the product looks like it's been updated. Personally, I wouldn't expect them to use identical colours as before, but that new background does need toning down a bit. There's blue and there's BLUUUE!! :)
  • Ukko
    Ukko Posts: 3,611 Superuser

Just check: http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/labs_global/Research/Mobile_Threat_Report_Q1_2014_print.pdf

And you can to feel which colors can be also with UI :)

So, your screenshot looks not so acid, but indeed "candy".

• yeoldfart
    yeoldfart Posts: 556 Superuser

hello Simon !

I like your suggestion, my opinion is that the ui background and frame transparency should be scalable to suit better the windows background and ajust automatically to its colors like vipre does.

• yeoldfart

hello sapiens

I like this shade, but one should think of the gigantic variety of windows ui backgrounds, hand made wallpapers etc. it is impossible to suit everybody's taste, this why bitdef, norton, avast use black !

some scalable transparency would help a lot imo

• Simon

I'm not totally against 'black' - in fact, I liked the design of Bitdefender 2012:

What I'm not too much in favour of, is the current trend of trying to make every product look like Windows 8.  What happened to individuality and creative design? 

I suppose, at the end of the day, how good the protection is matters more than the look of the product, but in a lot of cases, first impressions count.  Most people wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce if it looked like it had a shoddy paint job!  Smiley Very Happy

• yeoldfart

simon: just have a look @ bitdefender ts 2015 beta... you should love it as much as i do Smiley Wink

btw i'd new buy a RR even if I could, it's just good enough for wealthy old brit farts :))

• sapiens

I can not get used to the new colors, at least the background.

So I played, to see what could change.

F-Secure beta colours Old blue.jpgF-Secure beta colours Old mov.jpgF-Secure beta colours Old dark.jpg

• Simon
    At least the icons are now visible in ISTP114. But the highlighting on some of the buttons still needs some work.
  • sapiens

TP 115

In some places, the selected button's text can not be seen very well.

new colours - 1.pngnew colours - 2.png

I still miss the old colors and old logo.

• Fuzz
    Fuzz Posts: 22

I use a black windows theme and the icon looks kinda stupid next to the others. It looks so tiny. I have to say now that I like the old colors better.

• sapiens

If you kept the color combination of black and light blue, I suggest you replacing white with a light gray background. To reduce the current high contrast between colors.

ISTP non white.png

This discussion has been closed.