TP 99.5 Virus Definition Not Updated?

Scholar

Re: TP 99.5 Virus Definition Not Updated?

One thing I do not like is it says you are protected when you are not. F-Secure needs to have some kind of notice when there is a problem with the servers.

Superuser

Indeed. I'm assuming the problem is only with the tp update servers, but there seems to be no way to change the server, and I wouldn't know what to change it to anyway. I PM'd AndyY, wino was on here at the time, but I've had no response. I'll be seriously miffed if this is left over the weekend because it's already been four days since the last updates. I know this is a beta version, but we shouldn't be left vulnerable like this, and I'm surprised they don't get alerts for server failures, if indeed, that's what's happened. Hopefully there will be some news tomorrow.
Former F-Secure Employee

Hello guys,

As a temporary workaround, can you guys try to update your definitions manually by using fsdbupdate9.exe. You can download it from here:

http://download.f-secure.com/latest/fsdbupdate9.exe

Superuser

Yes, that seems to have worked, thanks Tomi.

So, can we run that tool daily, or is that just specific to one update package?

Former F-Secure Employee

Hi,

The package gets redone everytime we release a definition update so it always has the latest definitions. So if you notice that the definitions are not updated, you can redownload the package and use it to perform the update.

Superuser

OK.  The laptop that I reinstalled TP99.5 on, which subsequently had no definitions, seems to be struggling to install all of the updates, but I'll reboot and run the tool again - hopefully they will all install eventually.

When is this issue likely to be fixed, Tomi?

Superuser

My laptop is still displaying as above on the Computer Security screen (ie, Last Sucessful Update Check 01/01/1970), but the Common Settings > Downloads screen is showing the updates as installed.  Is this usual when applying updates manually?

Untitled.png

Superuser

The server is now connecting, and updates are coming through.  thumb.gif

Former F-Secure Employee

Hello,

sorry for not being able to update you earlier. The updates should now be flowing properly to all update channels again.

@Simon, how is it looking for your laptop? Did it manage to download everything and is the Computer Security now looking ok?

Superuser

Hi Tomi,

It appeared to download everything again, but once all the components were installed. Computer Security then displayed correctly.

What surprised and disappointed me most in all this was that there was no notification to say that updates weren't being received, and CS was reporting that everything was up to date, when it wasn't. It's not every day that one checks the Common Settings page, or indeed the Downloads page in CS, so I think there needs to be some sort of alert mechanism for if updates are not received for, say, 24 hours, or if there are server connection issues?