Self Protection

I am new here, so have patience...lol Smiley Happy

I am a lic. user of F-Secure IS 2011 and now beta testing IS 2012, however, I have some questions that may not fall into the category of creating a ticket.

- Does F-Secure IS 2012 (beta) protect itself if attacked? Some trojans try to shutdown any protection, in order to infect the device.

-Does F-Secure IS 2012 (beta) work with Windows Live Mail? If it does, how do you set it up to check Windows Live Mail?

-How do you setup F-Secure IS 2012 (beta) to avoid checking (or excluding) the "System Volume Info" on the HD?

-Is it possible to give more details in setting up the Schedule for automatic checking ? If you set it up to check every week on Friday @ 8pm AND the machine is "OFF" at the specified time, will it run the next time the machine is turned "on"?

Thanks for allowing me to test this application. Smiley Very Happy

Cheers Man Very Happy

Comments

• MJ-perComp
    MJ-perComp Posts: 432 Superuser

Hi,

Yes, IS 2011 and 2012 do self protection. Keep in mind that there are several levels of protection hurdles that the malware has to take, before it would even get a chance to execute.

But also keep in mind that Anti-Malware is no replacement for propperly installed and updated systems and system security. They are not designed to patch the users lazyness!

Not sure what live mail is, but FSIS is filtering unencrypted POP3, IMAP and SMTP connections on transport level.

Why would you not want SVI to be checked? if you do not need it, turn it off, but if you have it on you want it to be checked before Windows restores a binary from there.

If you want more control on the schedule use the system scheduled with FSAV.EXE (/? will give you the commendline options). But why would you run scheduled scans? F-Secure Gatekeeper is always checking a file whenever you touch it using the latest signatures and online information.

HTH

• Fallnout
    Fallnout Posts: 8 New Member

Hi

Your response is highly appreciative.

"But also keep in mind that Anti-Malware is no replacement for propperly installed and updated systems and system security. They are not designed to patch the users lazyness"

I agree and I am NOT suggesting that users are supposed to be protected from themselves. That question was asked with certain assumptions (user has updated patched systems and takes security seriously).

"Not sure what live mail is, but FSIS is filtering unencrypted POP3, IMAP and SMTP connections on transport level"

I am aware that F-Secure does not work with SSL emails (tried that already). I was being specific about Windows Live Mail (which is the replacement for Outlook Express). Please refer to this URL for more information about Windows Live Mail.

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-mail?os=other

"If you want more control on the schedule use the system scheduled with FSAV.EXE (/? will give you the commendline options). "

Thanks for that information, now I am able to use the command line options.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to provide me with the information. Smiley Happy

Cheers Smiley Happy

• Janiashvili
    Janiashvili Posts: 454 Adventurer

Yes, it does work with live mail, however I don't have any idea how xD

• Fallnout
    Fallnout Posts: 8 New Member

@Janiashvili .. thanks, that gives me hope and a smile Smiley Happy

It seems that both the "antispam" and the "filter" does not work with with SSL email so it is best to turn both "off" (in both locations).

Cheers Smiley Very Happy

This discussion has been closed.